Cabin safety deals with all activities that cabin crew must accomplish to maintain safety in the cabin. These activities contribute to safe, effective, and efficient aircraft operations in normal, abnormal and emergency situations. Cabin crew play an important role in preventing serious incidents and accidents. It is for this reason that lATA focuses on cabin safety, and continues to develop standards, procedures and best practices to ensure safety in all aspects of cabin operations.
Cabin safety is a critical component of an airline’s safety management program which includes proactive data collection and the ensuing prevention activities regarding cabin design and operation, equipment, procedures, crew training, human performance, passenger management.
Cabin Operations Safety Best Practices Guide
The first edition of the IATA Cabin Operations Safety Best Practices Guide helps manage the cabin operations safety demands of today and tomorrow. This guidance includes chapters that address various policies and procedures for Cabin Crew in normal, abnormal and emergency situations. They are meant to assist airlines to implement integrated, proactive, effective and efficient, cabin operations safety policies and procedures.
Cabin Safety Guidelines (pdf)
- Unruly Passenger Prevention and Management, 1st Edition: English
- Turbulence Management: English
- Inadvertent Slide Deployment Prevention: English
- Mitigating Laser Illumination in Passenger Cabin: English, Russian, Chinese
- Electronic Cigarettes: English, Russian, Chinese
- Handling Dangerous Goods Incidents and Lithium Battery Fires in the Passenger Cabin: English, Russian, Chinese
- Lithium Battery Fire prevention- Portable electronic device inadvertedly crushed or damaged in electronically adjustable seats: English
- Revised! Guidance on the Expanded Use of Passenger Portable Electronic Devices (PEDs): English
Cabin Operations Safety Task Force (COSTF)
The IATA Cabin Operations Safety Task Force (COSTF) reviews all aspects of cabin operations to improve safety and operational efficiency. Members of the COSTF are representatives from IATA Member airlines who are experts in:
- Cabin Safety
- Cabin Crew Training
- Accident and/or Incident Investigation
- Human Factors
- Quality Assurance
For further information, please contact Cabin Safety