An uninterrupted journey from curb to aircraft door, where passengers proceed through the security checkpoint with minimal need to divest, where security resources are allocated based on risk, and where airport amenities can be maximized.
Download 8 min version of this film in high definition (zip)
The Smart Security Program lays out a roadmap to evolve airport passenger security screening to a more sustainable, efficient and effective process that leverages new technologies.
The goals of the Smart Security are:
- Strengthened security – Focus resources based on risk, increase unpredictability, make better use of existing technologies, and introduce new technologies with advanced capabilities as they become available
- Increased operational efficiency – Increase throughput, optimize asset utilization, reduce cost per passenger, and maximize space and staff resources
- Improved passenger experience – Reduce queues and waiting times and use technology for less intrusive and time consuming security screening
Passengers benefit from more secure, faster, convenient and less-intrusive security screening
Airlines benefit from higher customer satisfaction and reduction in departure delays
Airports benefit from greater operational efficiencies and increased revenue opportunities
Governments benefit from an improved ability to counter threats, ability to focus resources where risk is greatest, and leverage investment made on existing technologies
Manufacturers benefit from greater use of technologies
Everyone benefits from strengthened security
Support for Smart Security
Strong support has been expressed by major international regulators for the Smart Security concepts both through official endorsement for a statement of the key principles and approval of the process and roadmap at the ICAO High Level Conference on Aviation Security in September 2012.
The Smart Security initiative is being developed jointly by governments, airlines, airports, law enforcement entities, and technology providers.
To date, these stakeholders have developed:
- A concept definition (pdf)
- A roadmap (pdf) for the next ten years
- An operational testing and evaluation plan
- Technology and process trials
For further information about the project and participation in the working groups or trials, contact the Smart Security team.