Press Release No.:
Date: 12 March 2014
News Brief: IATA Launches Lithium Battery Shipping Guidelines
Offering Comprehensive Information for Shippers
Montreal – The International Air Transport Association (IATA) announced the release of the first edition of the Lithium Battery Shipping Guidelines (LBSG) providing comprehensive guidance on how to safely ship lithium batteries and products containing Lithium batteries. TheLBSG brings together all of the relevant content of the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations and UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, as well as detailed examples on packing, marking, labeling and documentation.
Lithium batteries are safe to transport provided that they are designed, tested, manufactured and packaged in accordance with the global transport safety standards. Therefore it is essential that shippers comply with the relevant dangerous goods regulations to meet their safety obligations.
The LBSG is a complete guide for shippers. It is being released as a CD-ROM with an embedded, interactive PDF file enabling users to bookmark frequently referenced passages and annotate the manual to customize it to their own unique processes. Features include:
- Regulatory overview
- Packing Instructions with animated packing examples
- Marking and labeling diagrams
- Documentation examples
- Sample checklist for shippers and freight forwarders
For more information, please contact:
Tel: +41 22 770 2967
Notes for Editors:
- IATA (International Air Transport Association) represents some 240 airlines comprising 84% of global air traffic.
- You can follow us at http://twitter.com/iata2press for news specially catered for the media.