Learn the theory and best practices known as Team Resource Management (TRM) to be more aware of your role as an individual Air Traffic Controller and team member and use TRM to improve operational safety.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers, Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-company training.
- This classroom course provides 3 days (24 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
- Participants should have prior knowledge of Operational Air Traffic Control
- Recommended level is Management and Professional
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or equivalent for other languages.
There are currently no scheduled classes. Check back later for updates or contact us to arrange a class in your company.
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Speak knowledgeably about the key concepts of TRM and threat and error management (TEM)
- Demonstrate techniques to improve your aviation communication skills including better listening, maintain situational awareness and enhance decision-making
- Better manage fatigue, shift work and stress in teams
- Apply these key concepts to your own job and work with an informed understanding of your own place and importance as a member of an ATC team
- Background and concepts of Team Resource Management (TRM) in Air Traffic Control
- Errors and error management
- ATC team work, team roles, resolving ambiguity in team roles
- The importance of communication in ATC
- Verbal communications and listening skills
- Best practices in radio communications
- Different types of situational awareness in ATC, how to identify the loss of situational awareness and how to maintain it
- Decision-making in ATC: styles; attitudinal aspects; cognitive biases; judgement errors
- Support for good decision-making in ATC
- Stress, fatigue, shift work and coping strategies
- How to manage stress in teams
- TRM skills and operational efficiency
- Designing next steps in applying TRM to your own job and team
- Discussions, exercises, examples
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Air Navigation Service Providers, in particular, operational Air Traffic Controllers, managers, training experts, check controllers
- ATM auditors and incident investigators
- Safety and quality managers
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
About IATA Classroom Training
We train more than 10,000 aviation professionals annually through our global network of IATA Training Centers, Regional Training Partners, and in private in-company sessions. Our 200+ classroom courses are developed using IATA’s unique industry insight and delivered by IATA Instructors, experts in their fields. More
Graduates of this course can apply for the Harvard ManageMentor© (HMM) distance learning program at a special graduate price.