Does your staff meet the ICAO Aviation English Level 4 operational standard?
Developed in partnership with Berlitz Languages, Inc., this comprehensive assessment service lets you easily determine your staff’s ICAO Aviation English proficiency level and select the right training program to bring them to level 4 proficiency.
The assessment evaluates candidates against each of the six language proficiency criteria, so that further training is concentrated on areas where needed. As part of the complete IATA-Berlitz Aviation English Language Solution package, this assessment is free of charge for candidates that follow the IATA-Berlitz
Aviation English training program.
There are currently no scheduled classes. Check back later for updates or contact us to arrange a class in your company.
What you will learn
Use this assessment service to:
- Obtain a detailed report on the language proficiency level of your staff members
- Receive a Training Action Plan that maps out the training needed to bring your staff to Level 4 proficiency or higher
- Plan your Aviation English language training and reassessment
How the assessment works
The assessment evaluates all six ICAO English language proficiency criteria:
Candidates are evaluated individually by a qualified, native English-speaker – usually over the phone - and scored on a rating scale, starting from Level 1 (pre-elementary) to Level 6 (expert). The lowest score obtained out of the six evaluation criteria is the level assigned to the candidate.
Level 4 (operational) language proficiency is the minimum requirement for pilots and air traffic control officers, and additional training is mandatory for candidates with a Level 3 rating or lower. Candidates with a Level 4, 5 or 6 rating do not require any training, only periodic assessment.
Once all assessments are complete, you will receive a detailed Summary Report that includes individualized information for each staff member evaluated:
- Score on each of the six ICAO proficiency levels
- Overall ICAO proficiency rating
- Rater's comments pertaining to the assessment
- Training recommendations when the Level 4 requirement is not met
Who should attend
An assessment for ICAO Level 4 proficiency is a requirement for all:
- Airline, charter, private and other fixed-wing and helicopter pilots who fly internationally
Air Traffic Control Officers (ATCOs) and assistants
Those using air-ground voice communications for international air operations
Pilots and air traffic control
officers already rated at Level 4 must be reassessed every three years; level 5
pilots and control officers, every six years.