With over 52 million tons of cargo shipped annually, the air cargo industry is the place to be. Prepare yourself to work in the industry with this comprehensive course. You will learn about basic IATA cargo rules and procedures, how freight forwarders and airline cargo units operate, plus much more.
This course is mandated for IATA Cargo Agents in accordance with the IATA Cargo Agency Resolutions.
This training program combines IATA's trusted Cargo Introductory Course course with Harvard ManageMentor (HMM), a state-of-the-art, media-rich training platform furnished by Harvard Business School faculty, global business leaders and practitioners in the field of leadership development.
Course format: This is a distance learning course.
- This course requires between 160 - 200 hours of study, to be completed in 18 months.
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will have the skills to:
Identify air cargo terms and expressions
Control and maximize the use of space in aircraft holds
Understand aircraft routings and industry manuals such as TACT and OAG World Airways Guides
Apply basic rating principles and state and operator variation
Follow IATA standards to accept cargo and complete documents and improve customer service
- Build or refresh management and leadership skills
- Respond to management challenges effectively
IATA Cargo Introductory Course content
Air Waybill completion and basic rating
The operation of freight forwarders
The operation of airline cargo units
IATA geography, TACT, AOG, and other cargo manuals
Basic Cargo procedures
This valuable online reference tool, used by companies around the world, will help you handle day-to-day management issues.
HMM offers the following on-demand features to help you achieve more on the job:
- Concise lessons and tools for fast and effective learning
Videos featuring Harvard University faculty, trusted experts, and next-generation emerging leaders
Editor’s Choice articles featuring up-to-the-minute business expertise, selected and updated quarterly by Harvard Business Publishing editors
Hundreds of new checklists, self-assessments, worksheets, and handouts to facilitate the application of new ideas to your own work environment
Personalized experience: goals, skill development, and action planning to help you quickly apply new skills
Post-topic, On-the-Job component where you work on your action plan and receive content, tips, and reminders
HMM module content
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Newcomers to the industry
- Cargo agent and air freight forwarder sales and marketing staff
- Airline and manufacturer sales, reservations, and acceptance staff
- Junior-level managers at cargo agents, airlines, and manufacturers
- Exam Delivery Method: Supervised exam in IATA Exam location. Physical Attendance is required. Depending on exam venue availability online exams are available. Please read the General Information on Distance Learning Exams.
- Exam Format: Multiple Choice questions, Closed
Text Book, the TACT and OAG training editions
are required during the exam
- Number of questions: 100
- Time Allowance: 3 hours
- Passing Grade: 60 correct answers
- Distinction Grade: 90 correct answers
- Number of exam attempts: 2
- Course edition applicable for the Exam: Please refer to this page
Harvard ManageMentor Exam
- Exam Delivery Method: Online assessment
- Exam Format: Multiple-choice questions
- Number of Questions: 10 or less per HMM module
- Time Allowed: The assessment can be retaken as many times as you need to pass
- Passing Grade: You must score at least 70% on the assessment.
- Certificate Awarded: A Harvard ManageMentor Certificate is awarded for each HMM module upon successful completion of the assessment
- Please print OAG and TACT training edition.
- This print-out will only be allowed in the exam if there are no remarks or additional prints included in the print-out.
Select any 4 of the 8 available Aviation IATA Courses in eTextbook format and receive them with a free iPad. Learn more