Since 1977, IATA has developed cargo agent training with the help of experts from member airlines and associations. This course uses our expertise to provide knowledge on cargo rating principles and Air Waybill completion, as well as basic marketing procedures. This course is the ideal way for you to refresh your knowledge and learn new skills for career development.
Course format: This is a distance learning course, available in printed or electronic format.
- This course requires approximately 160 - 200 hours of study, to be completed in 18 months.
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will have the skills to:
- Apply advanced construction and combination principles for unpublished rates
- Calculate rates and charges for mixed consignments, Unit Load Devices (ULDs) and complete air waybill
- Describe and use pricing strategies
- Determine an advertising budget and plan, selecting advertising media channels
- Basic cargo rating principles and currency regulations: conversion rates, rounding off procedures and construction rates
- Combining rates and charges, mixed consignments, declaration of the goods and Air Waybill completion
- Identifying the needs of the shipper and the consignee for developing a reliable and affordable transportation system
- Applying traditional and digital advertising techniques with an airfreight industry focus
Download full outline and schedule
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Sales and marketing staff at cargo agents and air freight forwarders (consolidators)
- Sales, reservations, and acceptance staff at airlines and manufacturers
- Junior and middle management staff at cargo agents, airlines, and freight forwarders
An IATA Certificate is awarded upon successful completion of the final examination.
This training is the natural continuity of the Cargo Introductory course
The training kit includes the following publications:
Course Guide with Model Exam questions and answers
The Air Cargo Tariff -TACT Training Edition
Air Waybill extracts
- Exam Delivery Method: Supervised exam in IATA Exam location. Physical Attendance is required. Depending on exam venue availability online exams are available. Please read the General Information on Distance Learning Exams.
- Exam Format: Multiple Choice questions, Closed
Text Book, the TACT training edition is required during the exam.
- Number of questions: 100
- Time Allowance: 3 hours
- Passing Grade: 60 correct answers
- Distinction Grade: 90 correct answers
- Number of exam attempts: 2
- Course edition applicable for the Exam: Please refer to this page
Important notice: Please print the TACT training edition. This print out will only be allowed at the exam day if there are no remarks or additional prints included in the print out.
iPad packageFurther training
Select any 4 of the 8 available Aviation Courses in eTextbook format and receive them with a free iPad. Learn more
Graduates of this course can apply for the Harvard ManageMentor (HMM) distance learning program at a special graduate price.