Since 1977, IATA has developed cargo agent training with the help of experts from member airlines and associations. This course uses our expertise to provide knowledge on cargo rating principles and Air Waybill completion, as well as basic marketing procedures. This course is the ideal way for you to refresh your knowledge and learn new skills for career development.
This training program combines IATA's trusted Cargo Advanced Rating and Marketing course with Harvard ManageMentor (HMM), a state-of-the-art, media-rich training platform furnished by Harvard Business School faculty, global business leaders and practitioners in the field of leadership development.
Course format: This is a distance learning course.
- This course requires between 160 - 200 hours of study, to be completed in 18 months, plus the HMM course.
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will have the skills to:
- Apply advanced construction and combination principles for unpublished rates
- Calculate rates and charges for mixed consignments, Unit Load Devices (ULDs) and complete air waybill
- Describe and use pricing strategies
- Determine an advertising budget and plan, selecting advertising media channels
- Build or refresh management and leadership skills
- Respond to management challenges effectively
IATA course content
- Basic cargo rating principles and currency regulations as conversion rates, rounding off procedures and construction rates.
Combination of rates and charges, mixed consignments, declaration of the goods and Air Waybill completion.
Identifying the needs of the shipper and the consignee and developing an efficient and reliable transportation system that can be sold at an attractive price.
Applying both online and offline advertising, creation of effective marketing plan and identifying target groups as it relates to the airfreight industry.
This valuable online reference tool, used by companies around the world, will help you handle day-to-day management issues.
HMM offers the following on-demand features to help you achieve more on the job:
- Concise lessons and tools for fast and effective learning
Videos featuring Harvard University faculty, trusted experts, and next-generation emerging leaders
Editor’s Choice articles featuring up-to-the-minute business expertise, selected and updated quarterly by Harvard Business Publishing editors
Hundreds of new checklists, self-assessments, worksheets, and handouts to facilitate the application of new ideas to your own work environment
Personalized experience: goals, skill development, and action planning to help you quickly apply new skills
Post-topic, On-the-Job component where you work on your action plan and receive content, tips, and reminders
HMM module content
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Sales and marketing staff at cargo agents and air freight forwarders (consolidators)
- Sales, reservations, and acceptance staff at airlines and manufacturers
- Junior and middle management staff at cargo agents, airlines, and freight forwarders
This training is the natural continuity of the Cargo Introductory course
The training kit includes the following publications:
Course Guide with Model Exam questions and answers
The Air Cargo Tariff -TACT Training Edition
Air Waybill extracts
- Exam Delivery Method: Supervised exam in IATA Exam location. Physical Attendance is required. Depending on exam venue availability online exams are available. Please read the General Information on Distance Learning Exams.
- Exam Format: Multiple Choice questions, Closed
Text Book, the TACT training edition is required during the exam.
- Number of questions: 100
- Time Allowance: 3 hours
- Passing Grade: 60 correct answers
- Distinction Grade: 90 correct answers
- Number of exam attempts: 2
- Course edition applicable for the Exam: Please refer to this page
Important notice: Please print the TACT training edition. This print out will only be allowed at the exam day if there are no remarks or additional prints included in the print out.
Harvard ManageMentor Exam
- Exam Delivery Method: Online assessment
- Exam Format: Multiple-choice questions
- Number of Questions: 10 or less per HMM module
- Time Allowed: The assessment can be retaken as many times as you need to pass
- Passing Grade: You must score at least 70% on the assessment.
- Certificate Awarded: A Harvard ManageMentor Certificate is awarded for each HMM module upon successful completion of the assessment
Select any 4 of the 8 available Aviation Courses in eTextbook format and receive them with a free iPad. Learn moreFurther training
Graduates of this course can apply for the Harvard ManageMentor (HMM) distance learning program at a special graduate price.