This course provides the essentials for civil aviation authority managers and operational staff to effectively perform their jobs in their Civil Aviation Authority. Participants will learn the main functions and responsibilities of a CAA: the regulatory framework, ICAO, Annexes, Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs), the Continuous Monitoring Approach (CMA) to safety, ICAO audits and the State Safety Program (SSP).
On the finance and management side, participants will learn about Civil Aviation Master Planning, business planning, financial issues, fees and charges, commercialization, private sector participation and privatization.
The principal safety regulation and oversight responsibilities will be reviewed with regard to aerodromes, airlines, airworthiness, maintenance, airspace, air navigation services and the environment. Civil aviation security will be briefly covered although the regulation and oversight of security is not always under the same government department as civil aviation depending on the State.
During practical exercises, participants will work in teams to resolve problems and issues, applying the concepts and principles learned in the course. There will be a Course Integration Exercise in which participants work together and present how they have understood the concepts and facts learned during the course.
- This classroom course provides 5 days (40 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers, Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-company training.
- Pthere are no prerequisites for this course
- Recommended level is Entry-level and intermediate
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or equivalent for other languages.
There are currently no scheduled classes. Check back later for updates or contact us to arrange a class in your company.
What you will learn
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Be conversant about the scope of activities under a civil aviation authority
- Apply new management tools that will allow you to do the job more effectively
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Regulatory and oversight job roles in air navigation, airspace and aerodromes, regulation development and implementation, flight standards, safety systems, airworthiness, engineering, safety assurance
- Managers in CAA legal affairs, regulatory policy and international strategy
- Managers in CAA finance, stakeholder engagement and sustainability.
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
About IATA Classroom Training
We train more than 10,000 aviation professionals annually through our global network of IATA Training Centers, Regional Training Partners, and in private in-company sessions. Our 200+ classroom courses are developed using IATA’s unique industry insight and delivered by IATA Instructors, experts in their fields. More
Graduates of this course can apply for the Harvard ManageMentor© (HMM) distance learning program at a special graduate price.