This training program combines IATA's trusted IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR) course with Harvard ManageMentor (HMM), a state-of-the-art, media-rich training platform furnished by Harvard Business School faculty, global business leaders and practitioners in the field of leadership development.
This course is designed for freight forwarder staff who either have no prior DGR training or who have not updated their training during the past 24 months. This course fulfills ICAO and IATA training requirements and qualifies you to handle and process dangerous goods for carriage of by air for a 24-month period. You can renew your qualification before its expiration date with the relevant recurrent training course.
This unique program can give you a competitive advantage in the cargo industry. In addition to your IATA DGR category 3 certificate and applicable HMM certificates you will be awarded with the Leadership & Management Diploma.
Course format: This is a distance learning course, available in printed format.
- This course requires approximately 35 - 45 hours of study, to be completed in 12 months, plus additional time for the HMM module
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will have the skills to:
- Apply the IATA DGR to common work situations
- Understand related legal aspects and responsibilities of shippers, agents, and airlines
- Identify dangerous goods permitted for transport and their DGR categories
- Pack, mark, and label dangerous goods
- Complete a Shipper’s Declaration for dangerous goods
- Follow general emergency procedures when a damaged package is discovered
IATA DGR course content
- Contents of the IATA DGR
- Dangerous goods classes and divisions
- Packing, marking, labeling, and documentation requirements
- Radioactive materials
This valuable online reference tool, used by companies around the world, will help you handle day-to-day management issues.
HMM offers the following on-demand features to help you achieve more on the job:
- Concise lessons and tools for fast and effective learning
Videos featuring Harvard University faculty, trusted experts, and next-generation emerging leaders
Editor’s Choice articles featuring up-to-the-minute business expertise, selected and updated quarterly by Harvard Business Publishing editors
Hundreds of new checklists, self-assessments, worksheets, and handouts to facilitate the application of new ideas to your own work environment
Personalized experience: goals, skill development, and action planning to help you quickly apply new skills
Post-topic, On-the-Job component where you work on your action plan and receive content, tips, and reminders
HMM module content
The training kit includes:
- Course Guide
- The current edition of the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations manual
- IATA Dangerous Goods Training Program, Book 1
Important Note: The IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR) publication is updated at the beginning of every year and exams are based on the most recent edition. Students are solely responsible for acquiring the latest edition for their exam (this can be purchased from the IATA Online Store).
Who should attend
This course is recommended for All Category 3 personnel as per Table 1.5.A of the IATA DGR:
- Freight Forwarder staff preparing DG / HAZMAT shipments
- Airline staff preparing dangerous goods as Company Material (COMAT)
- Exam Delivery Method: Supervised exam in IATA Exam location. Physical Attendance is required. The exam is paper based. Please read the General Information on Distance Learning Exams.
- Exam Format: Subjective type questions. Closed Text Book, the current edition of the DGR Manual is required during the exam
- Number of questions: 20 (total of 100 marks)
- Time Allowance: 3.5 hours
- Passing Grade: 80 correct answers
- Distinction Grade: 90 correct answers
- Number of exam attempts: 2
- Course edition applicable for the Exam: Please refer to this page
Harvard ManageMentor Exam
- Exam Delivery Method: Online assessment
- Exam Format: Multiple-choice questions
- Number of Questions: 10 or less per HMM module
- Time Allowed: The assessment can be retaken as many times as you need to pass
- Passing Grade: You must score at least 70% on the assessment.
- Certificate Awarded: A Harvard ManageMentor Certificate is awarded for each HMM module upon successful completion of the assessment
Select any 4 of the 8 available Aviation IATA Courses in eTextbook format and receive them with a free iPad. Learn more