This course is designed for freight forwarder staff who either have no prior DGR training or who have not updated their training during the past 24 months. This course fulfills ICAO and IATA training requirements and qualifies you to handle and process dangerous goods for carriage of by air for a 24-month period.
You can renew your qualification before its expiration date with the relevant recurrent training course.
Important Note: the new
edition (58th) of the DGR publication will be released on November 11,
2016. If you purchase this course before November 11, you will receive the current
DGR edition (57th ) and be solely responsible for acquiring the 58th
edition at IATA
Online store for your exam in 2017.
Course format: This is a distance learning course, available in printed format.
- This course requires approximately 35 - 45 hours of study, to be completed in 12 months.
- All candidates will be given 2 attempts to successfully complete the final exam.
- To successfully pass the exam, the student must achieve a grade of 80% or higher.
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will have the skills to:
- Apply the IATA DGR to common work situations
- Understand related legal aspects and responsibilities of shippers, agents, and airlines
- Identify dangerous goods permitted for transport and their DGR categories
- Pack, mark, and label dangerous goods
- Complete a Shipper’s Declaration for dangerous goods
- Follow general emergency procedures when a damaged package is discovered
- Contents of the IATA DGR
- Dangerous goods classes and divisions
- Packing, marking, labeling, and documentation requirements
- Radioactive materials
Download full outline and schedule
The training kit includes:
The current edition of the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations manual
IATA Dangerous Goods Training Program, Book 1
Who should attend
This course is recommended for All Category 3 personnel as per Table 1.5.A of the IATA DGR:
- Freight Forwarder staff preparing DG / HAZMAT shipments
- Airline staff preparing dangerous goods as Company Material (COMAT)
An IATA DGR CAT 3 Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 80% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
- Exam Delivery Method: Supervised exam in IATA Exam location. Physical Attendance is required. The exam is paper based. Please read the General Information on Distance Learning Exams.
- Exam Format: Subjective type questions. Closed Text Book, the current edition of the DGR Manual is required during the exam
- Number of questions: 20 (total of 100 marks)
- Time Allowance: 3.5 hours
- Passing Grade: 80 correct answers
- Distinction Grade: 90 correct answers
- Course edition applicable for the Exam: Please refer to this page
- The IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR) publication is updated at the beginning of every year and exams are based on the most recent edition. Students are solely responsible for acquiring the latest edition for their exam (this can be purchased from the IATA Online Store).
Graduates of this course can apply for the Harvard ManageMentor (HMM) distance learning program at a special graduate price.