With more than 1 billion international trips each year, the travel industry offers travel professionals excellent business opportunities. This course will help you take advantage of these opportunities by improving your skills in supervising and managing people and by building business relationships based on win-win negotiating strategies. Learn how to be competitive by developing new products and market them effectively. You will also gain insight on agency accounting procedures to build business plans that lead to good financial health.
This training program combines IATA's Managing the Travel Business course with Harvard ManageMentor (HMM), a state-of-the-art, media-rich training platform furnished by Harvard Business School faculty, global business leaders and practitioners in the field of leadership development.
Course format: This is a distance learning course, available in printed or electronic format.
- The IATA course requires approximately 120 hours of study, to be completed in 18 months.
- Approximately 20 hours of study are required for the HMM modules
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will have the skills to:
- Apply manager roles and responsibilities
- Coach and motivate employees
- Develop sound negotiating skills
- Develop new products and services
- Arrange special interest travel and tour production
- Set up proper back office operations
- Establish a social media strategy
- Improve your management skills with Harvard ManageMentor
- Administration and accounting
- Strategic management and negotiation
- Product development
- Meeting and event planning
- Sales and marketing
This valuable online reference tool, used by companies around the world, will help you handle day-to-day management issues. HMM online modules feature:
- Concise lessons and tools for fast and effective learning
- Videos featuring Harvard University faculty, trusted experts, and next-generation emerging leaders
- Editor’s Choice articles featuring up-to-the-minute business expertise, selected and updated quarterly by Harvard Business Publishing editors
- Hundreds of new checklists, self-assessments, worksheets, and handouts to facilitate the application of new ideas to your own work environment
- Personalized experience: goals, skill development, and action planning to help you quickly apply new skills
- Post-topic, On-the-Job component where you work on your action plan and receive content, tips, and reminders
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Travel supervisors and middle managers
- Agency BSP and accounting personnel
- Sales and marketing managers
- Independent travel consultants
By successfully completing the examination you will receive the Managing the Travel Business Diploma
Upon successful completion of the 10 required HMM modules and the IATA Travel and Tourism Consultant course, contact us to claim your IATA Leadership and Management Diploma.
- Exam Delivery Method: Supervised exam in IATA Exam location. Physical Attendance is required. Depending on exam venue availability online exams are available. Please read the General Information on Distance Learning Exams.
- Exam Format: Multiple Choice questions, Open Text Book. Foldout Maps are not permitted
- Number of questions: 100
- Time Allowance: 3 hours
- Passing Grade: 60 correct answers
- Distinction Grade: 90 correct answers
- Course edition applicable for the Exam: Please refer to this page
Harvard ManageMentor Exam
- Exam Delivery Method: Online assessment
- Exam Format: Multiple-choice questions
- Number of Questions: 10 or less per HMM module
- Time Allowed: The assessment can be retaken as many times as you need to pass
- Passing Grade: You must score at least 70% on the assessment.
- Certificate Awarded: A Harvard ManageMentor Certificate is awarded for each HMM module upon successful completion of the assessment
Select any 4 of the 8 available Aviation IATA Courses in eTextbook format and receive them with a free iPad. Learn more