DescriptionPrices & Registration
The EUROCONTROL Performance Based Navigation course, introduces the PBN concept which was introduced in 2008. The course discusses the evolution of the concept and explains the principles of PBN. The course then focuses on the three components of PBN: the Navigation Application, Navigation Specifications and the Navigation Infrastructure. Once these tenets are understood, the course considers how to implement PBN and follows the principles laid out in the European Airspace Concept Handbook for PBN Implementation. This document, re-released in 2013 as Edition 3, provides step-by-step guidance to support a successful PBN airspace change. Although focused on the European area, the handbook provides any region or State excellent guidance on implementation and this document builds upon ICAO’s Doc 9992.
Finally, the European Commission is finalising the PBN rule which will run in parallel to the Pilot Common Project Implementing Regulation (PCP IR) which came into force in July 2014. Both the PBN rule and the PCP IR will influence the future navigation applications within European airspace and both rule and regulation address the ICAO General Assembly Resolution (37/11) on the requirement for approach procedures with vertical guidance (APV) for all instrument runway ends; this ICAO resolution originally called for by a completion date of 2016. Therefore, the course will review the current status of the PBN rule and will discuss ATM Functionalities (AF) #1 and #3 of the PCP both of which have specific requirements on PBN functionality.
This course is delivered by the EUROCONTROL Training Institute.
- This classroom course provides 4 days of instruction
- There are no prerequisites for this course
There are currently no scheduled classes. Check back later for updates or contact us to arrange a class in your company.
What you will learn
This course provides an introduction to the PBN concept and a high level understanding of the differing navigation infrastructure and aircraft functionalities supporting to the different navigation specifications. After completing the course, participants will:
- Understand the meaning and principles associated with area navigation (RNAV) and the PBN concept; and
- Explain the difference between RNAV and RNP specifications; and
- State which navigation applications support the different phases of flight; and
- Describe PBN implementation processes; and
- List the different stages of the PBN implementation processes.
What is new in the PBN concept and why we have changed
How PBN will affect European strategic plans and support the SES
Meaning and principles associated with of area navigation (RNAV) and the PBN concept
Difference between RNAV and RNP Specifications
Different stages of the PBN implementation processes
Study which navigation application supports which phase of flight
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Anyone involved in the airspace or navigation domains. However, the course is suitable for anyone who wishes to obtain a good understanding of PBN and the implementation processes that must be followed to enable a State, or region, to introduce a specific navigation application supporting a defined airspace concept
All candidates will receive a certificate of attendance.