DescriptionPrices & RegistrationExam Schedule
Did you know that in the past 5 years, 212 participants from 47 countries have taken this course with IATA?
This course will help participants and organizations understand the function, role and importance of developing and implementing a Safety Management System (SMS).
Course formatThis distance learning course is available in Printed or eTextbook format.
- This course requires approximately 8 - 10 hours of study, to be completed in one year.
- Student performance will be based on an examination. Please refer to the Exam Information below for more details.
- This course is also available in eLearning format.
What you will learn
Understand the basic knowledge, techniques and skills needed to develop a Safety Management System and measure its performance
Discover how an effective system can reduce costs
Learn cost-effective resource planning
See how safety risks are managed proactively
Explore how to build a positive safety culture within your organization
Introduction to Safety Management Systems
Policy and Objectives
Integrating Airline Management Systems
The regulatory authority’s role in SMS oversight
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Representatives of Civil Aviation Authorities
Experienced managers from airlines, airports, ANS providers, manufacturers and maintenance groups
Supervisors in operations
An IATA Certificate is awarded to participants successfully passing the final exam.
Please read the General Information on Distance Learning Exams, and check the Distance Learning - Course edition list for exams when booking your exam.
- Exam Delivery Method: Supervised exam in IATA Exam location. Physical Attendance is required. Depending on exam venue availability online exams are available.
- Exam Format: Multiple Choice questions
- Number of questions: 60
- Time Allowance: 2.5 hours
- Passing Grade: 36 correct answers
- Distinction Grade: 54 correct answers
Graduates of this course can apply for the Harvard ManageMentor (HMM) distance learning program at a special graduate price.