Study the basics of the travel and tourism industry and understand what it takes to become a successful travel agent. Improve your customer service and sales skills in order to better advise clients about when and where to travel based on their needs. Learn how to provide the best flight, accommodation and tour options, and how to ensure clients fulfill all necessary travel requirements.
- Overview of the travel and tourism industry
- Requirements to become a travel agent
- Customer service principles
- Air transport products and services
- Airfares and ticketing
- Electronic booking tools
- Pre-packaged tour products
- Introduction to rail, land and water transport
Download full course outline
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Provide excellent customer service and build customer loyalty
- Understand the various services and facilities available to airline passengers during their travel
- Advise customers on passport and visa requirements, as well as on travel insurance options
- Plan and reserve travel itineraries using standard industry coding
- Sell rail travel, car rental, hotel accommodation, cruises and pre-packaged tour products
- Book and sell travel products using Global Distribution Systems (GDS) such as Abacus, Amadeus, Galileo or Sabre
This course is recommended for:
- Travel agents
- Airline reservation agents
- Tour operators
- Call center agents
By successfully completing the examination you will receive the Foundation in Travel and Tourism Diploma, and you will be eligible for Travel and Tourism Professional (TTP) certification.
This course is offered in partnership with the United Federation of Travel Agents’ Associations (UFTAA) and is endorsed by the Canadian Institute of Travel Counselors (CITC).
If you purchase the eBook version of this course, IATA will email a link to download the course textbooks and will ship the accompanying CD-ROMs with the following minimum system requirements: Windows 95, Internet Explorer 5.5, 16MB memory. No shipping fees apply.
If you purchase the printed textbook version of this course, you will receive a printed study kit by courier delivery. The study kit includes a CD-ROM with the following minimum system requirements: Windows 95, Internet Explorer 5.5, 16MB memory. Shipping fees apply.
For self-study students, about 170 hours of intensive study are required to complete the foundation course. Students studying at an IATA Authorised Training Center could expect a longer period of study.
Graduates of this course can apply for the Harvard ManageMentor (HMM) distance learning program at a special graduate price.
This course can be taken as part of the Leadership & Management Training Program diploma.
Improve your language skills through our joint programs with Rosetta Stone®, Berlitz® and other specialized language programs. More