IATA Fuel Reporting & Emissions Database (FRED)
FRED is an online reporting system used by all IATA airline members to report fuel consumption data. The system follows established reporting standards and protocols to track the aviation industry’s fuel efficiency versus its ambitious environmental goals:
- 1.5% p.a. fuel efficiency improvement on average between 2009 and 2020
- Carbon-neutral growth from 2020
- Reduction of net CO2 emissions by 50% from 2005 to 2050
The FRED reporting system simplifies the process of reporting fuel/emissions by using established industry standards and protocols to ensure consistency of data reported.
Click on the thumbnail to view the
Benchmark your airlines' fuel efficiency
FRED provides several tools to airlines interested in assessing their fuel efficiency performance including:
- CO2 emissions reports for passenger, charter and cargo services
Blind Ranking Reports (identities of competitors are not revealed)
- Compare your airline’s performance against the industry average
- Compare your airline’s fuel efficiency with other carriers operating similar fleet/network types
- Historical Metrics Reports – compare your airline’s current performance with previous years.
Fuel reporting: A blind ranking system
Ensures that all operator-level data is strictly confidential to protect commercially-sensitive information, while providing the key benchmarks that allow airlines to understand how they are performing in relation to all IATA membership. FRED provides detailed guidance to assist operators in measuring and reporting fuel; including fuel definitions, fuel measurement methods, and assistance with calculating associated traffic data.
Join FRED as a non-IATA member
Although FRED is not mandatory for non-IATA Members, all airlines interested in assessing their fuel performance are welcome to join. To find out more, please
In the works
In order to meet the changing requirements for airline fuel and emissions data linked to voluntary or mandatory programs in the future, IATA is in the process of developing a new system called FRED+.
FRED+ will be based on the successful foundation of the existing FRED system with enhanced features to facilitate higher data granularity, enhanced access and data security, an improved user-interface, and modular flexibility to accommodate future airline needs. For more information on FRED+ please
get in touch