IATA acts as advocate and advisor to the industry on legal matters, including industry procedures and practices. It also coordinates industry and group litigation, and represents members' interests with respect to international treaties and agreements.
The Legal Committee is one of the IATA Industry Committees established and approved by the Director General. It acts as advisor to the IATA Board of Governors, the Director General and other relevant IATA bodies on legal matters affecting member airlines.
The Legal Committee
- Acts as an advocate for the air transport industry
- Advises on the legal aspects of IATA Conference issues and services operated by IATA on behalf of the industry
- Provides advice to IATA with respect to outside counsel
- Advises and consents to litigation conducted by IATA on behalf of the industry
- Advises IATA on matters related to the development of international law
- Takes other action as necessary and appropriate
Appointments to the Legal Committee take into consideration industry expertise, potential contribution to the Committee's work, regional representation and the views of the Committee members. Appointments are for a renewable periods of up to two years and are subject to approval of the Board of Governors.
User's guides and commentaries
Agreements' template documents
The private site is a repository of items of interest for legal officials of IATA members. Agenda items for the meeting of the Legal Forum are also posted on the private site, along with copies of periodic updates. For access, please contact us at LegalCommittee@iata.org. Please note that access is available only to IATA members.
IATA's General Counsel
Tel: +1 514 874 0202 ext. 3695
Fax: +1 514 874 1789
Email Legal Committee