ULD Panel (ULDP)
The primary objectives of the ULDP include:
- Development and maintenance of standards, recommended practices and guidelines concerning the:
- Manufacture, certification, identification, control, handling and maintenance of Unit Load Devices (ULDs)
- Interlining capability of ULDs
- Maintaining the IATA ULD Technical Manual (UTM) in an up-to-date state
- Proactive input to, monitoring of and professional response to developments in:
- Regulatory requirements
- Aircraft containerization requirements
- Industry advances in materials, designs and processes related to ULDs
- Industry Safety and Operational parameters
Panel's responsibilities and plans
The Panel is mainly responsible for:
- Specifications and other technical standards relating to the construction and maintenance of ULDs
- Standards and procedures relating to all aspects of ULD operations
- Development of documentary requirements and procedures for ULD operations
- Liaison with external organizations such as ISO and SAE as well as relevant civil aviation authorities to ensure international standards are aligned and harmonized
- Development of standard training requirements to ensure compliance
- Development and promotion of the standards and procedures for ULD logistics management and control
- Specifications and other technical material relating to the fabrication, use and maintenance of cargo restraint equipment
- Continue to enhance and promote IATA ULD Regulations across the industry
- Develop the standard training requirements as well as the ‘Train the Trainer’ program
- Define the business process and requirements in order to create the modernized and standardized ULD control receipt to be implemented during transfer of ULD
- Support the implementation of the IATA ULD Operational Scorecard annual surve
- Continue engagement with ISO, SAE, industry suppliers, and national CAAs to ensure both technical and operational standards are up-to-date and align with regulatory requirements
The ULDP generally meets at least once per year in conjunction with SAE AGE 2/2A – usually the fall meeting.
The ULDP consists of up to 12 Members appointed by the Cargo Services Conference (CSC), each being an expert in the ULD Technical area.
The current ULDP Chairman is Mr. Urs Wiesendanger (Air Canada).
- ULDP Secretary
LIAO, Zhi Yong
Manager, Business Process & Standards, IATA
ULD Operations Advisory Group (ULDOAG)
In order to raise the awareness of ULDs in the supply chain and provide industry best practices on proper ULD loading and handling standards to achieve safe, secure, and efficient cargo and baggage transportation, the IATA ULD Panel (ULDP) established the ULD Operations Advisory Group (ULDOAG) consisting of ULD operational experts throughout the supply chain.
The registered Suppliers that are members of the IATA Strategic Partnership Program also participate in the meetings, bringing valuable technical input.
The ULDP secretariat provides input and updates for various other IATA groups and publications such as ISAGO, AHM and TACT
The ULDP is also represented at:
- SAE International – Aerospace Council (SAE AGE 2 / 2A)
- ISO – TC20 SC9
- IATA World Cargo Symposium – ULD Track