Air Transport Competitiveness in Spain
Air transport is a key enabler of economic activity in Spain.
It supports 1.7 million jobs and EUR 102.4 billion of gross value to GDP, which accounts for 9.2% of Spanish GDP (World Bank 2016).
Main Industry Priorities
- Aviation Strategy
- Airspace Modernization
- Airports capacity
- Airports charges and fees
- Intermodality (lack of connections of Madrid and Barcelona airports with high-speed trains)
Other Key Priorities
Avoid introduction of an Aviation Tax
- Stress the importance of aviation for the growth of society for politicians and general public
- Implement a National Airspace Strategy to increase the capacity and improve the efficiency of Spanish airspace.
- Ensure sufficient and efficient capacity in the right place, controlling high airport charges and fees, supported by an improved legislative framework.
- Develop intermodality, including connecting Madrid and Barcelona to the national high-speed rail network.
- Develop and foster the air cargo business.