About MCC 2020
COVID-19 is arguably the worst crisis the airline industry has ever faced. The global pandemic has challenged the industry in every possible way. As the situation develops dynamically, the airlines are adapting quickly to the new parameters.
The 2020 edition of IATA Maintenance Cost Conference (MCC) will take place as a series of weekly webinars from September 9 to 30, 2020.
- Episode 1: Economic context and forecast; implications of aircraft parking/storage strategies
- Episode 2: Adapting to exceptional circumstances (transport of cargo in the passenger cabin; aircraft cleaning & disinfecting)
- Episode 3: How COVID-19 is reshaping the aircraft leasing and MRO businesses
- Episode 4: The role of used serviceable material (USM) in the industry restart
Who should attend?
- Airlines (Manager, Director, VP and higher; Maintenance, Engineering, Technical Operations, CAMO)
- Leasing Companies (Manager, Director, VP and higher)
- MRO Service Providers & OEMS (Customer Service, Business Development, Marketing)
- Managers and directors who focus on: business development, contracts, customer service, engineering, inventory, IT/software, logistics, maintenance program, maintenance planning, materials, purchasing, supply chain, logistics, airworthiness.
September 9, 2020 – 7:30-9:30am EDT
Theme: Economic context and industry forecast; implications of aircraft parking vs storage vs retirement on maintenance programs and costs
Summary: Our Chief Economist will start this session with an update on the current economic situation and forecast. Then we will address the following topics with our speakers:
- Storage and preservation, what do we do with the aircraft?
- Pro & cons of each strategy
- Cost and maintenance implications
- What needs to be considered?
- 6 months in, would you do anything different?
Moderator: Chris Markou (Head of Operational Cost Management - IATA)
- Brian Pearce (Chief Economist – IATA)
- Thanos Pascalis (CEO – Ellinair)
- Hannes Pferdekamper (Head of Technical Strategy & Reporting – Eurowings)
- Keith Fernandes (Manager, Fleet Engineering – Virgin Australia)
- Swaran Sidhu (Head of Fleet Technical Management – easyJet)
- Michael Hansen (Manager Fleet Strategy – Southwest)
September 16, 2020 – 7:30-9:30am EDT
Theme: Adapting to exceptional circumstances (transport of cargo in the passenger cabin; aircraft cleaning & disinfecting)
In parallel to an unprecedented fleet grounding, the airlines are facing many other challenges to adapt to new circumstances. Our speakers will discuss the following topics:
- Regulatory matters for cargo configuration
- Technical requirements for transport of cargo in the passenger cabin
- Aircraft cleaning & disinfecting procedures and techniques
- Fuel testing
Moderator: Rami Awadalla (Director of Fleet Engineering - Postholder CAMO – Etihad)
- Dragos Budeanu (Manager Paperless Operations – IATA)
- Dan Freeman (Director - Payloads & Customer Engineering – Boeing)
- Matthias Ierovante (Head of Freighter Projects A330 Program Directorate – Airbus)
- Vincent Bouscary (Head of Weight & Balance Operations Support and Training – Airbus)
- Mark Vaughan (Head of Jet Fuel Management – South African Airways)
September 23, 2020 – 7:30-9:30am EDT
Theme: How COVID-19 is reshaping the aircraft leasing and MRO businesses
It will take years for the aviation industry to recover from the COVID crisis and the related travel restrictions and get back 2019 levels. As a consequence, demand for MRO and leasing services will also be impacted.
Our speakers will discuss the following topics:
- Global fleet outlook (retirements, deliveries, demand for leased aircraft and engines, etc.)
- MRO market
- Aircraft and engine leasing markets
Moderator: Chris Markou (Head of Operational Cost Management - IATA)
- Adam Pilarski (Senior VP – Avitas)
- Richard Hough (Chief Technical Officer – ELFC)
- Tiymor Kalimat (Manager, Aircraft Contracts – Jazz Aviation)
- Mark Lynch (SVP Engineering and Material Solutions – GECAS)
- Martin Harrison (Global Managing Director – ICF)
- Sonny Stern (VP Sales MRO Services – Delta TechOps)
September 30, 2020 – 7:30-9:30am EDT
Theme: The role of used serviceable material (USM) in the industry restart
In the coming months and years, the global fleet will considerably change. Some airlines have already announced the retirement of part of their fleet, more retirements are expected. The demand for Used Serviceable Material (USM) will be impacted significantly. Tools are available to help airlines and MROs to effectively handle their material management and procurement.
Our speakers will discuss:
- The evolution of the USM market
- An optimization tool for consumable expendables
- MRO SmartHub, an innovative web-based business intelligence platform for surplus part inventories
- Life-limited part (LLP) traceability
Moderator: to be announced
- Jonas Murby (Principal - AeroDynamic Advisory)
- Abdol Moabery (President & CEO – GA Telesis)
- Tommy Hughes (President & CEO – VAS Aero Services)
- Jens Bjarnason (SVP Corporate Affairs – Icelandair)
- Garath Harries (Project Manager & Business Development for MRO SmartHub – IATA)
- Chris Markou (Head of Operational Cost Management - IATA)
The MCC 2020 Webinar Series is a great opportunity to promote your products and services to an audience of industry experts.
For more information on the sponsorship opportunities, please email us at email@example.com.
Highlights from last year's MCC
IATA's 15th annual Maintenance Cost Conference (MCC 2019) was held in Athens, Greece, on September 18th-19th, 2019.
All this was made possible thanks to the conference sponsors: Aegean Airlines, HEICO, The Boeing Company, ELFC, Safran Aircraft Engines, Airbus, Alton Aviation, Athens International Airport, Delta TechOps, ICF, Thales, Willis Lease, MRO Holdings.
Take a look at MCC 2019 Program (pdf)
See Photos from last year's event
See Speakers from last year's event
- MCTF Chairman's Report (pdf) - Eurowings
- MCTF Preliminary Data Analysis (pdf) - IATA
- MRO Forecast and Market Trends (pdf) - ICF
- Connected Cabins (pdf) - Virgin Australia
- Owned or Leased Aircraft, Impact on Maintenance Costs (pdf) - Jazz Aviation
- Leveraging the tightly connected aviation ecosystem for AI based maintenance (pdf) - Relational.AI
- Making most of your data by using the open, modular Aviatar platform (pdf) - Swiss International Airlines
- Inventory and Purchasing Optimization Through Utilization of Systematic Asset Valuation (pdf)-Lufthansa Technik
- Maintenance Advisor - Integrating Predictive Maintenance, Diagnostic Maintenance and Workflow Automation (pdf) - Honeywell & Sparkcognition
- Aeromexico 787 C checks (pdf) – A Maintenance Insourcing Case - Aeromexico
- How to achieve cabin optimal economics performance? (pdf) - Airbus
- Airline + University: An Innovation Factory (pdf) - Brussels Airlines
- How Efficiencies Created by FLYdocs Translated into Cost Savings for a US Carrier (pdf) - FLYdocs
Check out last year's Participating Organizations.
Thank you to our 2019 Sponsors!
Host Airline & Principal Sponsor