After labor, fuel represents the largest cost component in airlines operations. An effective and efficient way of reducing costs is to use less fuel. IATA is working with industry partners worldwide to reduce the industry's fuel requirements. In addition, we are working with individual airlines to ensure they have a robust internal "fuel efficiency program" in place.
Mitigating CO2 emissions
IATA recognizes the need to address the global challenge of climate change and adopted a set of ambitious targets to mitigate CO2 emissions from air transport:
- An average improvement in fuel efficiency of 1.5% per year from 2009 to 2020
- A cap on net aviation CO2 emissions from 2020 (carbon-neutral growth)
- A reduction in net aviation CO2 emissions of 50% by 2050, relative to 2005 levels
A multi-faceted approach: the four-pillar strategy
IATA is determined to be part of the solution but insists that, in order to achieve these targets, a strong commitment is required from all stakeholders working together through the four pillars of the aviation industry strategy:
- Improved technology, including the deployment of sustainable low-carbon fuels.
- More efficient aircraft operations.
- Infrastructure improvements, including modernized air traffic management systems.
- A single global market-based measure, to fill the remaining emissions gap.
Fuel Efficiency Program Development and Implementation
Effective management and monitoring are critical to the success of an airline's fuel and carbon emissions reduction program. Our experts provide airlines with simple, efficient and user-friendly data-driven solutions, for a continuous process improvement that ensure sustainability of achieved results.
IATA Airline Support Services
Flight Efficiency Workshops:
- Regional workshops: Interactive workshop, customized to the local issues, provide a forum to exchange best practices.
- Airline in-house workshop: In-house workshops provide a great opportunity to include airline operational staff and conduct a dialogue in an effort to define future efficiency improvement opportunities.
Webinars: On-request by the IATA Region or airline IATA can schedule a webinar to discuss selected topics.
Contact us for more information about our workshops and webinars.