- Participating in the development of recommendations for amendments to the ICAO Technical Instructions Document and ensuring their implementation into the Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR)
- To develop and approve documentary requirements and procedures for the handling and processing of dangerous goods
- Providing for a forum allowing member airlines to exchange and develop information specific to the transport of dangerous goods contained in company material (COMAT)
- Implementing a strategy for effective dangerous goods training standards worldwide for operators, ground handling agents (GHA) and freight forwarders
- Promoting an open dialogue with civil aviation authorities and the shipping industry throughout the world to ensure safe and compliant operations
- Developing checklists and other tools to be used in establishing "proof of compliance" checks for dangerous goods safety standards
The DGB meets twice a year, normally in March and September prior to the ICAO Working Group or Panel Meetings.
The DGB consists of 12 Board members, elected by the Cargo Services Conference (CSC), each being an expert in the dangerous goods field and serving on the Board for a period of four years. IATA member airlines and other associations, such as IFALPA and aircraft manufacturers may send observers to the DGB meetings, subject to prior approval of the Secretary and Chairman.
The current DGB Chairman is Mr. Alex McCulloch (UPS).
Publications and Resources
Assistant Director, Cargo Safety & Standards, IATA