The Airline Retailing Costs Benchmark is a comprehensive solution designed to help airlines optimize their cost of passenger sales acquisition, distribution, and payment. Following a pilot conducted in 2022 and a growing need for airlines to access reliable benchmarks, our program focuses on delivering business insights, benchmarking capabilities, and industry best practices to empower airlines in their journey towards modern airline retailing.
- Enable airlines to benchmark their payment and distribution costs against group averages and peer performance.
- Identify opportunities for cost optimization and process improvements through comprehensive data analysis and insights.
- Provide a platform for collaboration and knowledge sharing among industry professionals to facilitate the adoption of best practices.
- Support airlines in implementing modern retailing strategies by offering increased transparency on distribution channel performance and efficiency of payment instruments.
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement and innovation within the airline industry by maintaining a growing bank of KPIs up-to-date with evolving trends and technologies.
Retailing Costs Key Performance Indicators (KPI)
- IATA and Airline SMEs have identified commonly used indicators to track performance and defined the cost allocations required for a reliable comparison and cost benchmarking.
- Data is sourced directly from participating airlines and curated by IATA.
- Quarterly updates are included
How it Works
Participation to the program is free of cost and is granted on a give to get basis. Airlines that contribute their data will have access to the program outcomes upon release.
Watch our latest webinar now!
The Monitor Your Cost Performance towards Modern Retailing webinar session provided an overview of:
- The Airline Retailing Cost Benchmark service and its benefits
- Distribution and Payment Costs - Key performance indicators available in 2023
- Future Performance monitoring
- How airlines can participate and benefit from best practices and insights from peers
The 2023 Data Collection is now Open!
How can your airline participate?
Interested airlines will receive a Participant Package, with a toolset for easy collection and submission of relevant costs. The toolset includes the Terms of participation document, the Definitions and Instructions manual as well as the Data Collection Form. This toolset is available to airlines only and can be requested by contacting us directly.
If you're ready to initiate the onboarding process, please get in touch directly with your usual IATA regional contact.
Airline Retailing Cost Benchmarks
Launch Data Collection May 2023
- Airline Data Submission: From 15 May to 15 July
- Airlines provide data for reporting period: January – December 2022
IATA Release end August 2023
- IATA processes & discloses anonymized KPIs
- Quarterly results : Q1 to Q4 2022
As of September 2023
- Airlines provide data for reporting period Jan-June 2023
- Release planned end-Jan 2024