Carbon Markets and Aviation - University of Geneva (Classroom)
This course will examine approved SAF standards, track and report for CORSIA compliance and monitor the status of ICAO approvals for SAF. In this 2-day virtual course you will explore the evolution of CORSIA (Carbon Offset and Reductions Scheme for International Aviation) at ICAO and review compliance and voluntary carbon markets, the standards approved by ICAO for CORSIA compliance, and how carbon offsets are created, bought and sold. You will also look at airlines’ and IATA’s experience with establishing standards for Sustainable Aviation Fuel, while highlighting significant airline investments in SAF off-take agreements and production facilities.
This course is offered as part of the IATA - University of Geneva Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS) in Environmental Sustainability in Aviation program.
Course Code: TALG-73
- This classroom course provides 2 days (16 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment.
- Recommended level is Entry-level and Intermediate.
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
Please complete the online application form indicating if you wish to register for the complete program or a single course, and attach all required supporting documents.
View more details
View fewer details
Switzerland, Geneva (UoG-AV-Virtual)
21 - 22 February, 2022
Please register by 10 Feb
All prices are before tax. Class no: 145941
For more information, please contact:
Program Coordinator, Executive Education
Bureau Uni Pignon 604
42 bd du Pont-d'Arve
CH - 1211 Genève 4
Tel: +41 22 379 89 75
You can also apply online
at least two weeks prior to the course start.
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Describe the current and future role of aviation in both voluntary and compliance carbon markets
- Identify how carbon offsets are bought, sold and retired for compliance purposes, as well as the role of Registries in these transactions
- Describe the roles of carbon offsets and SAF in CORSIA compliance, including timelines for reporting and verification of Emissions Reports
- Develop a CORSIA compliance strategy for your airline, including compliance options, internal stakeholders, timing
- Aviation’s impact on climate change and efforts to mitigate emissions
- Existing regulatory requirements for GHG associated with Aviation, EU ETS, carbon taxes + voluntary actions
- ICAO’s regulatory requirement, Carbon Offset and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA), baseline years, compliance from 2021
- Voluntary and compliance carbon markets and carbon offsets
- Accessing and retiring carbon offsets for compliance
- Sustainable Aviation Fuel – standards, accounting, existing supply and current investors
- Airline compliance strategy for CORSIA – carbon offsets, SAF
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Environment, compliance, and corporate strategy managers
- Fuel purchasers, suppliers, logistic providers, and traders
- Government affairs, marketing, and communication mangers
- Government agencies
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on an assessment. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in: