Environmental Sustainability Expert Diploma
About the diploma
Build on your environmental and sustainability knowledge with this in-depth aviation-focused diploma. Three mandatory courses have been developed especially to take your expertise to the next level. During the courses, you will work individually and in teams on complex case studies for some of the most important topics related to environmental sustainability. You will cover topics such as environmental management systems, monitoring, reporting and verification, and you will also look at all the factors you need to consider when designing a sustainability strategy for your company during the advanced course with the same name. The elective courses allow you to either explore other topics of interest or go deeper into the ones already addressed.
What you will learn
Upon completion of this diploma you will be able to:
- Create roadmaps to address the main environmental challenges facing aviation
- Develop a relevant, comprehensive and dynamic sustainability strategy
- Identify the best environmental strategy for your company and ensure it is aligned with your corporate strategy
- Develop environmental risks mitigation plans and design compliance strategies
- Identify airline-specific data required for emissions reporting together with data sources
- Explain emissions monitoring and data management processes
The key topics that are covered in this diploma include:
- Environmental strategy
- Environmental management systems
- Emissions monitoring and reporting
- Management plans addressing environmental issues
- Internal communication and alignment
Participants should have between 5 to 10 years of working experience in sustainability or environmental issues or successfully completed the IATA Environmental Sustainability Practitioner Diploma
Who should attend
- Senior Environmental managers
- Sustainability managers
- Aviation professionals with a stake in environmental sustainability
A passing mark of 70% is required on all assignments and exams. A special distinction is awarded to candidates who obtain a distinction in all, or all but one, of all course exams and assignments that make up this Diploma.
How to obtain your diploma
- Complete all the required courses and your choice of elective courses within 18 months.
- Please contact us on our Customer Portal to request your diploma, stating the title of the diploma you are applying for and the list of courses you completed for that diploma.
- IATA Training will issue your diploma upon verification of your eligibility.
To receive the diploma candidates must complete
- 3 Required courses
- 2 Elective courses
Design a Sustainability Strategy - Advanced (Classroom)
This course is designed to empower you to design your own sustainability strategy that is aligned with your corporate strategy and supported by a well-thought-out plan.
Environmental Management System - Advanced (Classroom)
Learn how to develop risk mitigation plans and design compliance strategies.
Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) Requirements Under CORSIA (Classroom)
An excellent overview of fuel monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV) requirements under CORSIA
Aircraft Decommissioning: Regulations, Economics and Sustainability (Classroom, 2 days)
Business processes, operational experiences and best practices to optimize the residual value from aircraft decommissioning
Carbon Markets and Aviation (classroom)
A brief history of airlines’ and IATA’s action to address climate, as well as the evolution of CORSIA (Carbon Offset and Reductions Scheme for International Aviation) at ICAO.
CORSIA - Technical Aviation Knowledge for Verifiers (Classroom)
Learn the aviation-specific knowledge that you will need to become an accredited verifier for ICAO’s Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA)
Implementing Voluntary Passenger Carbon Offset Programs (Classroom, 2 days)
Understand how to successfully implement and run a passenger offset program, to improve passenger acceptance, and to increase uptake rates by applying best practices for carbon offsetting.
Sustainability Communication Strategies (Classroom)
Learn about the different stages of building a successful sustainability communications strategy for passengers, co-workers or other stakeholders of an airline.
Sustainable Aviation Fuels (SAF) - building a long-term sustainable aviation industry (Classroom, 2 days)
Learn the fundamentals of carbon markets and sustainable alternative fuels (SAF) and their essential roles in the future of aviation.