Safety Management Systems (SMS) for Civil Aviation - University of Geneva
Did you know that in the past 3 years, 87 participants from 35 countries have taken this course with IATA?
An executive workshop to demystify ICAO Safety Management Systems. Take on board the key safety management principles, and those of accident prevention and related human factors. Top IATA lecturers will share their experience on how theory is applied in practice.
This course is offered as part of the IATA-University of Geneva Aviation Management Program. A related course is also scheduled at our IATA Training Centers.
Course code: TALS-16
- This classroom course provides 3 days (24 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor / University of Geneva Professor.
- This course has been customized into a three-day format for the IATA-University of Geneva Aviation Management program. It may be taken as a single certificate course, or as part of the Diploma in Advanced Studies in Aviation Management, or Executive MBA with specialization in aviation management.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
- Participants will be required to read articles as pre-course reading
- Recommended level is Intermediate and Advanced
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
- To attend a class scheduled at one of our training centers: Register early and save up to 20%! Please read the Terms for the early bird discount. The discount will be calculated at the time of payment.
- To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
View more details
View fewer details
Switzerland, Geneva (UoG-AV-Virtual)
15 - 17 March, 2021
Please register by 22 Feb
All prices are before tax. Class no: 118540
For more information, please contact:
Program Coordinator, Executive Education
Bureau Uni Pignon 604
42 bd du Pont-d'Arve
CH - 1211 Genève 4
Tel: +41 22 379 89 75
You can also apply online
at least two weeks prior to the course start.
2 daily LIVE sessions:
19:00-21:00 & 22:00-0:00 Beijing/Singapore
15:00-17:00 & 18:00-20:00 Dubai
12:00-14:00 & 15:00-17:00 Geneva/Paris
7:00-9:00 & 10:00-12:00 Miami/Montreal
11:00-13:00 & 14:00-16:00 UTC
What you will learn
On completion of this course you will be able to:
Recognize the key safety issues in aviation
Understand the basics of current safety programs
Explore the main theories on accident causation and prevention, related to enterprise risk management programs
Know how accidents can be prevented using evidence and best practices
- Design and operate a SMS as required by the main aviation authorities and ICAO
Understand how every manager in an aviation organization is affected and can be made part of the integrated safety management system
Introduction to Safety Management System framework
Review basic safety concepts and the historical development of aviation safety
Regulatory aspects of safety management
Creating and implementing successful safety management systems
Operating a safety management system
Human factors implications on safety management
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
Corporate and executive staff from airlines and airports
Civil Aviation Authorities
Air Navigation Service Providers
Ground Operations Service Providers
Pilots, Air Traffic Controllers and other operational staff
Representatives of aviation business
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
Participants enrolled in the Diploma in Advanced Studies in Aviation Management will benefit from receiving an academic diploma from both University of Geneva and IATA.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in: