IATA initiatives in air traffic management have been developed in cooperation with the relevant authorities and air navigation service providers. An even closer working relationship will enable the industry to realize significant benefits.
IATA works relentlessly at the structural and operational level towards the implementation of two major projects aimed at making air traffic management more efficient:
IATA also works with air navigation service providers across the globe to drive cost-efficiency improvements. Find out about our policy activities related to infrastructure.
Air Traffic Management resources
Communication, navigation and surveillance. Read more on IATA's activities related to the Air Traffic Management/
ATM in the news
See the Airport & ATM structure news in Airlines. magazine
Air Traffic Management enhancements could improve airlines' fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions up to 12%.
IATA therefore calls upon governments, airports and air navigation service providers to implement the necessary infrastructure improvements.
More on aviation & the environment
Towards flexible routings
We are working with key stakeholders to introduce more flexible routings. This initiative, called iFLEX, will bring significant reduction in flight time on long haul, resulting in reduced fuel burn and emissions, in addition to obvious commercial benefits. iFLEX is currently on trial on a few routes.
Air Traffic Management publications
- The Runway Excursion Risk Reduction (RERR) toolkit: including best practices from Air Traffic Controllers
- The Phraseology report: the result of a survey evaluating the safety risks associated with air-ground communications
- The Aviation Charges Intelligence Center (ACIC) - formerly AAFCM - a database of all aeronautical charges, including landing, lighting, aircraft parking, passenger service, security, terminal navigation, emissions, noise, overflight charges and taxation
IATA offers financial solutions to help Air Navigation Service Providers to focus on their main activities.
Enhancement & Financing (E&F) Services: Increase in rates - Reduction in administrative costs - Improvement of financial reporting.
Simplified Invoicing & Settlement: e-invoicing for core suppliers and airlines with optional settlement services.
Benefit from expert help for Air Traffic Management for civil authorities
IATA provides aviation training to thousands of professionals each year, helping to build careers and ensure sustainability throughout the industry. We offer a wide selection of ICAO-compliant courses for licensed air traffic control officers, management and staff.
- Benchmarking and Best Practices for Air Navigation Service Providers (Classroom, 5 days)
Learn how to use benchmarking effectively to deliver service improvements and achieve better performance results. Explore ANSP Key Result Areas and acquire new tools to measure and compare success.
- Human Factors in Aviation (Classroom, 5 days)
Gain a comprehensive overview of human factors in aviation and the key reference documents and methodologies.
- Air Transport Fundamentals (Distance Learning)
Study the air transportation system plus the roles and functions of airlines, airports, Civil Aviation Authorities and Air Navigation Service Providers.
- Management of Air Navigation Services (Classroom, 5 days)
Improve your management of safe and efficient Air Navigation Services through this strategic approach which reviews all important aspects of the business.