Some items may endanger the safety of an aircraft or persons on board, and the air transportation of these dangerous materials can either be forbidden or restricted. As a result, IATA works closely with local governments and ICAO to develop regulations that are effective and efficient, and that ensure the safe transport of dangerous goods by air.
The IATA DGR manual is the global reference for shipping dangerous goods by air, and the only standard recognized by airlines. The content contains up-to-date information on effective and efficient regulations, which ensures the safe transport of dangerous goods by air. This manual is the result of IATA closely working with airline members, local governments and ICAO.
All parties involved in the shipment of dangerous goods by air can benefit from using the DGR including ailrines, freight forwarders, ground handlers, manufacturers, and shippers.
Main features of the DGR:
- Contains the most complete, up-to-date, and user-friendly reference manual trusted by the industry
- Its format reflect the activities in the supply chain process flow
- Contains a trusted source of State and operators variations critical when preparing and accepting dangerous goods by air
- Series of appendices with use full information including list of States contacts, training and packaging providers
- Appendix H provides guidelines materials on training implementation
- Appendix I includes impending changes that will be effective as of 1 January 2021
- Supplementary material such as industry benchmarked checklists for the acceptance of dangerous goods.