Examine technical aspects of how to ship infectious substances by air (Division 6.2 - Category B), and how to promote safe and efficient handling practices in the workplace.
Important Note: the 4th edition of the
Infectious Substances Shipping Guidelines course was released on December 2nd,
2016. If you have purchased the course
before December 2nd, 2016 and want to take the exam after January 3rd,
2017, please ensure that you are familiar with the updated content of the DGR
Manual 58th. You can find detailed information in the Significant Changes to the 58th Edition (pdf)
Course formatThis distance learning course is available in Printed format.
- This course requires approximately 8 - 10 hours of study, to be completed in one year.
- Student performance will be based on an examination. Please refer to the Exam Information below for more details.
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Apply the technical aspects of shipping infectious substances by air
- Review the current Infectious Substances Shipping Guidelines based on the latest IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations Manual
- Use our step-by step workbook with the current Infectious Substances Shipping Guidelines publication
- Promote safe and efficient handling practices in the workplace
- Facilitate shipments by ensuring compliance
- Classification, labeling, documentation, handling and emergency procedures for Infectious Substances
- Interactive exercises on proper completion of the Shipper's Declaration for Infectious Substances to ensure shipment compliance with Dangerous Goods Legislation
- Application of the current edition of the Infectious Substances Shipping Guidelines manual
- Discussions of key issues involved in the shipping of infectious substances
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Medical personnel
- Laboratory personnel shipping viruses for research purposes
- Airline cargo acceptance agents and freight forwarders
- Pharmaceutical company employees
An IATA Certificate is awarded to participants successfully passing the final exam.
Please read the General Information on Distance Learning Exams, and check the Distance Learning - Course edition list for exams.
- Exam Delivery Method: Non-supervised online-based exam. Exam can be taken any time at your convenience.
- Exam Format: Multiple Choice questions
- Number of questions: 79
- Time Allowance: 3 hours
- Passing Grade: 80% correct answers
- Number of exam attempts: 1
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
Graduates of this course can apply for the Harvard ManageMentor (HMM) distance learning program at a special graduate price.