Did you know that in the past 4 years, 80 participants from 12 countries have taken this course with IATA?
This course addresses the Performance-based Navigation PBN approval process from the perspective of the state regulator as well as the air operator. Air operators will learn how to apply for the operational approval and what tasks are required in each of the five steps of the process. State regulators, in particular flight operations inspectors who act as the Principal Operations Inspector (POI), will learn how to guide the air operator through the operational approval process. State regulators will learn how to draft legislation using FAA and EASA airworthiness certification documentation.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers, Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-company training.
- This classroom course provides 5 days (40 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an examination
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- Recommended level is Intermediate and Management
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or equivalent for other languages.
|Jul 29 - Aug 02, 2019 - Singapore, Singapore (IATA)
1 additional class is scheduled. See all
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- PBN navigation specifications as defined in the ICAO Doc 9613 AN/937 Performance-Based Navigation manual
History of navigation specifications and their relationship to B-RNAV, P-RNAV, and other existing operations
Air operator obligations for PBN approvals
When an airline should apply and where approval is valid
The validity of a foreign operator’s approval within a state
The relationship between PBN navigation specifications and FAA and EASA airworthiness criteria documentation
How to search Aircraft Flight Manuals (AFM), AFM supplements or other related documents, for PBN operational and functional compliance statements
- ICAO PBN concept
- PBN performance and functional requirements, RNP/RNAV navigation specifications, and more
- Area navigation turns, path terminators and PBN recognized navigation systems
- Oceanic and Remote, En Route, Terminal Maneuvering Area (TMA) and Approach Navigation Specifications, where they apply and communication and surveillance requirements
- PBN operational approvals and airworthiness criteria documentation
- Operational and functional requirements of PBN navigation specifications as per FAA and EASA airworthiness certification
- FAA Orders and Advisory Circulars (AC), EASA Temporary Guidance Leaflets (TGL) and Acceptable Means of Compliance (AMC)
- FAA matrix for RNAV 1/AC 90-100A vs. a list compliant Flight Management Systems (FMS)
- How to obtain an operational approval for a PBN navigation specification
- The 5-step operational approval process
- The pre-application meeting
- The formal application
- Documentation analysis
- Demonstration and inspection
- Issuance of the PBN approval by means of operational specifications to air operators
- Practical and group exercises
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
State regulator and air operator managers involved in the PBN operational approval process
State regulator managers responsible for drafting national regulatory material
Flight operations and airworthiness inspectors
Airline fleet managers and chief pilots
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
About IATA Classroom Training
We train more than 10,000 aviation professionals annually through our global network of IATA Training Centers, Regional Training Partners, and in private in-company sessions. Our 200+ classroom courses are developed using IATA’s unique industry insight and delivered by IATA Instructors, experts in their fields. More
Graduates of this course can apply for the Harvard ManageMentor© (HMM) distance learning program at a special graduate price.