Acquire the skills and knowledge to pack and ship lithium ion and lithium metal cells and batteries by air, in compliance with the regulatory requirements of the ICAO Technical Instruction and IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR). Over two days, you will examine the classification and identification of dangerous goods, with particular focus on lithium batteries, and learn how to complete the necessary documentation, marking, labelling and packaging of shipments. You will learn about the limitations to transport of lithium batteries by air, as well as emergency procedures in the event of an incident or accident.
This course is based on the content of the IATA Lithium Battery Shipping Guidelines, a comprehensive guide designed for shippers and packer to meet their safety obligations related to the safe transport of dangerous goods by air. This course is recommended for Category 1, 2, 3 personnel as per Table 1.5.A of the IATA DGR.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers, Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-house training.
- This classroom course provides 2 days (16 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- Recommended level is Entry-level and Intermediate
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or equivalent for other languages.
|Aug 19 - Aug 20, 2019 - Singapore, Singapore (IATA)
3 additional classes are scheduled. See all
What you will learn
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Understand the basis and applicability of the IATA DGR
- Apply the states and operation variations
- Identify and classify the 9 hazard classes including provisions of lithium batteries
- Apply the applicable special provisions
- Apply the provisions for packing, marking and labelling of shipments containing lithium batteries
- Complete transport documentation (dangerous goods documentation and air waybill - AWB) and any other accompanied documents related to the transport of lithium batteries
- State the relevant emergency response and reporting procedure
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Manufacturers of cells and batteries
- Battery assemblers
- Shippers and packers
- Other operators handling lithium batteries
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade level of 80% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to all participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
Please note: The course title on your certificate will include the DGR Category of the course - Lithium Batteries by Air - Shipping and Packing
About IATA Classroom Training
We train more than 30,000 aviation professionals annually through our global network of IATA Training Centers, Regional Training Partners, and in private in-house sessions. Our 350+ classroom courses are developed using IATA’s unique industry insight and delivered by IATA Instructors, experts in their fields. More
Graduates of this course can apply for the Harvard ManageMentor© (HMM) distance learning program at a special graduate price.