Did you know that in the past 4 years, 114 participants from 18 countries have taken this course with IATA?
Understand the components of the Safety Management Systems (SMS) framework in Annex 19. Gain practical knowledge of SMS and its function, and learn how to implement and manage an effective SMS in a cargo organization.The requirements of SMS for air cargo operators, as per the new edition of Annex 19 on Safety Management, demands a top-down approach to managing safety risk. Learn how to adopt a systemic approach to risk management comprising of organizational structures, accountabilities, policies and procedures.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers, Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-company training.
- This classroom course provides 5 days (40 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an examination
- Participants should have prior knowledge of air cargo procedures
- Recommended level is Management and Professional
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or equivalent for other languages.
There are currently no scheduled classes. Check back later for updates or contact us to arrange a class in your company.
What you will learn
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Understand SMS as defined by ICAO
- Identify and manage hazards and risks
- Develop a safety culture within your organization
- Apply techniques for measuring safety performance
- Overview of SMS principles
- ICAO safety management standards and recommended practices (SARPs)
- SMS management framework
- Safety policy and objectives
- Hazard and incident reporting
- Safety risk management
- Safety investigation
- Safety analysis and safety studies
- Safety performance monitoring
- Emergency response planning
- How to establish a safety culture
- Safety assessments
- Best practices for operating a SMS
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Cargo personnel responsible for safety
- Cargo middle and upper management responsible for safety oversight
- Personnel responsible for safety training
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
About IATA Classroom Training
We train more than 10,000 aviation professionals annually through our global network of IATA Training Centers, Regional Training Partners, and in private in-company sessions. Our 200+ classroom courses are developed using IATA’s unique industry insight and delivered by IATA Instructors, experts in their fields. More
Graduates of this course can apply for the Harvard ManageMentor© (HMM) distance learning program at a special graduate price.