Learn how to develop, implement and maintain a State Safety Program (SSP) in compliance with the relevant ICAO Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs), namely ICAO Annex 19 and Doc 9859 Safety Management Manual (SMM).
An SSP is a management system for the regulation and administration of safety by the State, appropriate to the size and complexity of the State’s civil aviation system, in order to achieve an Acceptable Level of Safety (ALoS) Performance (ALoSP) in civil aviation. Gain an understanding of the four main components of an SSP framework: State safety policy and objectives; State safety risk management; State safety assurance; and State safety promotion.
As part of its SSP, each State requires service providers under its authority to implement a Safety Management System (SMS) by which systemic safety deficiencies can be effectively identified and safety concerns can be resolved. States need to enact national laws and legislation to protect data gathered from safety data collection and processing systems (SDCPS). Appropriate coordination, integration and accessibility of their SSP-related safety databases needs to be established in States with multiple authorities responsible for safety regulation.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers, Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-company training.
- This classroom course provides 5 days (40 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an examination
- There are no prerequisites for this course
- Recommended level is Management and Professional
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or equivalent for other languages.
|Sep 16 - Sep 20, 2019 - South Africa, Johannesburg (ATNS-RTP)
1 additional class is scheduled. See all
What you will learn
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Develop and implement an SSP in compliance with the relevant ICAO SARPs, including a harmonized regulatory framework for the oversight of product and service providers’ SMS
- Ensure an operational SSP which requires specific functions performed by States, including the enactment of legislation, regulations, policies and directives to support the safe and efficient delivery of aviation products and services
- Understand the need to establish and maintain a safety database that can be used to support a safety data analysis
- Understand that safety is now data-driven and that the existing prescriptive approach to safety is expanded and complemented with a performance-based approach
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Government, CAA and NAA personnel
- Service providers responsible for the Safety Management System within their organization
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
About IATA Classroom Training
We train more than 10,000 aviation professionals annually through our global network of IATA Training Centers, Regional Training Partners, and in private in-company sessions. Our 200+ classroom courses are developed using IATA’s unique industry insight and delivered by IATA Instructors, experts in their fields. More
Graduates of this course can apply for the Harvard ManageMentor© (HMM) distance learning program at a special graduate price.