Acquire essential knowledge and skills to work in the travel and tourism industry and become an effective travel professional. Provide advice on flight, accommodation and tour products, and how to ensure travelers fulfill necessary travel requirements. Improve your customer service and sales skills in order to better advise travel customers about when and where to travel based on their needs. Learn to use a global distribution system to create and manage reservations.
Course formatThis course is available in e-textbook format and requires access to online modules. Enrol at an Authorized Training Center to study these materials with the help of a local trainer, or alternatively you can choose to study these materials on your own.
- This course requires approximately 200 hours of study to be completed in 12 months from the purchase date (enrollment validity). After the enrollment validity expires, the users will not have access to the course content and will not be able to take the exam.
- Access the online modules and other study materials is through your IATA User Account.
- You need an Internet connection and Google Chrome™ browser.
- Student performance will be based on an examination. Please refer to the Exam Information below for more details.
What you will learn
After completing this course you will be able to:
- Advise customers on passport and visa requirements, as well as on travel insurance options
- Promote services and facilities available to airline passengers during their travel
- Interpret standard industry codes to plan and reserve travel itineraries
- Sell rail travel, car rental, hotel accommodation, cruises and pre-packaged tour products
- Provide good customer service and retain customer loyalty
- Use the Global Distribution System to make and maintain reservations and issue travel documents
- The travel and tourism industry and the working environment for travel professionals
- Geography and industry codes
- Travel documents and the airline passenger experience
- Air transport products and services
- Rail, hotel, car rental, cruise and tour products
- Customer service principles
- Airfares and ticketing
- The Galileo system functionality
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Travel agents
- Airline reservation agents
- Tour operators
- Call center agents
By successfully completing the examination you will receive the Foundation in Travel and Tourism Diploma.
Please read the General Information on Partner-taught / Self-study exams, and check the Course edition list for exams when booking your exam.
- Exam Method: Online exam with remote supervision or an exam in one of IATA’s Exam Centers (where physical presence is required)
- Exam Format: Multiple Choice questions. Open Text Book, Foldout Maps are not permitted
- Number of questions: 100
- Time Allowance: 3 hours
- Passing Grade: 60 correct answers
- Distinction Grade: 85 correct answers
- Number of exam attempts: 2
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in:
Graduates of this course can apply for the Harvard ManageMentor© (HMM) distance learning program at a special graduate price.