Simplifying the Business (StB)
Simplifying the Business (StB) is an industry change program that aims to transform the entire passenger journey through the implementation of innovative solutions. StB engages stakeholders across the industry to transform business practices and processes that will deliver value to the entire industry.
The StB program includes multiple IATA transformational projects that cover different areas of aviation, with a specific focus on the passenger. In fact, StB is the only program that looks at the entire passenger experience.
StB objectives & projects
Airline Products: Shop - Order - Pay
The goal for this objective is to empower airline retailing and merchandising. The airline commercial distribution ecosystem is no different than any other industry and can be considered simply like any retailing entity following a shop-order-pay cycle. However, the industry has been constrained by incremental change as opposed to radical modernization. In line with the IATA vision to “be the force for value creation and innovation”, true industry transformation of shop-order-pay processes is envisioned in the following way:
- Shop: from distribution to airline retailing
- Order: from complex processes to standard order management
- Pay: from "one size fits all" to more customer-centric payments
Real Time Interaction: Engage
The goal of this obejctive is to provide customers with trusted, accurate and real-time info from all operators throughout the journey. Today’s digital world expects scalable social communication - we all expect to be able to find out what we need to know, when we need to know it and with the minimum of effort. In order to meet these expectations, the industry needs to move from a model of centrally-controlled, closely-guarded access data to one of widely available, open and transparent communication of useful information.
- Customer Contact Information
- Travel Communications
Seamless and Hassle Free: Experience
The goal of this objective is to eliminate or optimize processes and related wait times throughout the journey. The vision is to achieve a transformed door-to-door experience that moves from fragemented steps to one harmonized and integrated process, allowing the passenger to walk seamlessly throughout the airport, without breaking stride.
StB white papers
StB project phases
In order for a project to be under the StB umbrella, it must meet certain criteria including: generate industry savings, deliver transformational industry change and bring benefits to airlines and customers as well as other stakeholders.
Using rapid program cycles, the projects within the three goals are listed under five different phases:
- Conceptualization: Illustrate and sketch the concept - this includes identifying the KPIs and reasons for the concept to be explored.
- Exploration: Assess feasibility and develop an industry business case based on the identified KPIs.
- Development: Develop the “product” (e.g., standard, recommended practice, implementation roadmap, etc.)
- Implementation: Implement the project, including industry mobilization and market adoption – according to the target roadmap.
- Closure: Ensure the vision/target was achieved and close as a StB project. The initiatives are now transferred to operations.