ULD Board (ULDB)
The ULD Board (ULDB) develops standards and procedures concerning the technical and operating specifications, handling, restraint and maintenance of Unit Load Devices (ULDs), and promotes the worldwide recognition, adoption of and adherence to those standards and procedures.
- Development of specifications and other technical standards relating to the construction and maintenance of ULD
- Development of standards and procedures relating to all aspects of ULD operations
- Development of procedures and requirements for new ULD Contour Code application and allocation
- Development of standards for the application of automatic identification technology to ULDs in conjunction with other Cargo Services Conference (CSC) subgroups
- Maintenance of the liaison with other CSC boards, external organizations such as the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), the Society of Automobile Engineers (SAE), and Airports Council International (ACI), as well as relevant government authorities, to ensure alignment and harmonization of international standards and regulatory requirements
- Development and promotion of the IATA ULD Regulations (ULDR)
- Development of requirements for documentation/ messaging for ULD operations
- Development of standard training requirements to facilitate safety compliance
- Development and promotion of standards and procedures for ULD logistics management and control
- Coordination of industry-wide liaison with manufacturers of ULD and accessories, Ground Support Equipment (GSE), Cargo Loading Systems (CLS), cargo terminal and warehouse facilities, etc. in order to ensure safe, compliant and efficient ULD operations
Composition and Frequency of Meetings
The ULDB is open to IATA member airlines only.
The ULDB meeting is open to any CSC Members provided the observer request is received and approved prior to the meeting.
ULDB consists of up to 12 Members appointed by CSC, each being an expert in the ULD technical and/ or operational area, and each serving on the ULDB for a period of four years. ULDB face-to-face meetings are normally held twice a year in conjunction with SAE AGE 2 Air Cargo Committee meeting, ISO TC20/SC9 plenary meeting, or other meeting/event with similiar topics and attendees.
ULD Technical Advisory Group (ULDTAG)
ULD Operational Advisory Group (ULDOAG)
ULDB collaborates and engages closely with industry stakeholders such as regulators, standard organizations, industry associations and individual experts to ensure the relevance of the ULDR. The ULDB meeting is open to the following parties as observers:
- Relevant civil aviation authorities such as CAAC (Civil Aviation Administration of China), EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency), FAA (Federal Aviation Administration).
- SAE AGE 2 members when ULDB is held in conjunction
- ISO TC 20/ SC9 members when ULDB is held in conjunction
- IATA Strategic Partnership Program (SPP) members (ULD Area)
- IATA Ground Handling Council (IGHC) members
- FIATA (International Federation of Freight Forwarders Associations) members
The ULDB Secretary provides input and updates to various other IATA groups and publications such as IOSA (IATA Operational Safety Audit), ISAGO (IATA Safety Audit for Ground Operations), ICHM (IATA Cargo Handling Manual), AHM/ IGOM (Airport Handling Manual/ IATA Ground Operations Manual), and TACT (The Air Cargo Tariff and Rules).
Need for more information?