Customs Advisory Group
The Customs Advisory Group (CUSAG) was established by the Cargo Committee to represent the interests of airline members on Customs and cargo trade facilitation matters.
The primary objectives of CUSAG are as follows:
- Ensure that customs requirements will take full account of the interests and constraints of the airline industry
- Guarantee that customs requirements are compatible with existing international Customs standards (i.e. WCO) and industry standards (i.e. IATA, ICAO)
- Cooperate with Customs authorities on cargo trade
- Focus on advanced electronic cargo reporting requirements for risk assessment purposes
- Review and endorse IATA Positions related to Customs
- Report Customs requirements with challenging compliance issues
- Assess and identify appropriate responses to Customs issues
- Lobby, consult and dialogue with Customs administrations
- Ensure that the identified requirements and compliance procedures are communicated to the industry
- Ensure that Customs requirements are included in IATA standards & initiatives
- Communicate regularly to the Cargo Committee the progress made in influencing Customs on air cargo matters
CUSAG consists of a maximum of 20 members appointed by the Cargo Committee for a two-year term. There can be a maximum of 17 airline representatives and 3 representatives from other associations.
The current CUSAG Chairman is Mr. Axel Klein (Lufthansa) and the Vice Chairman is Ms. Elizabeth Merritt (Airlines for America, A4A).
The group has one scheduled face-to-face meeting in a year. Interim meetings are held mostly by teleconference.