25by2025 is a global initiative led by IATA to enhance diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) in the aviation industry. Brought to life in 2019, 25by2025 emphasizes the significance of adopting best practices to foster greater DE&I and gender balance in the aviation sector.
With more than 200 signatories, the change is already taking place in the aviation industry.
A Diverse, Equitable & Inclusive industry – a win-win for everyone
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DE&I) play a key role in driving innovation. A diverse and inclusive workforce – from pilots, ground handlers to senior managers or any position in the aviation industry – is a competitive edge as diverse organizations are a true magnet for creative thinkers.
The progress made so far
Aviation is making substantial progress through 25by2025: from 2021 to 2022, our signatories counted over 1,000 new female pilots (+25%) in their ranks, and 28% of women in senior roles (vs. 24% in 2021).
Although many organizations have already reached their 25by2025 targets, there is still room for improvement!
Watch the video to find out about the progress made up until June 2023.
Be part of the change with 25by2025
Complete the DE&I maturity survey
Benchmark your Diversity, Equity & Inclusion maturity by completing the survey, and make your organization contribute to enhancing DE&I in the aviation industry.
Get inspired with the Best Practice Guide
Take action to advance Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, and see what other aviation-related organizations are doing to make 25by2025 a reality.
The 25by2025 initiative is open to all airlines and aviation-related organizations, including non-IATA members.
About the DE&I Maturity Survey
Learn about the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Maturity Survey, and request access by contacting the 25by2025 team.
Commit to embrace diversity
By joining 25by2025, your organization will commit to increase female representation both in senior roles and in areas where women are traditionally under-represented. IATA provides the industry the necessary tools to promote and share best practices, and progress will be shared annually at the IATA World Air Transport Summit.
What committing to 25by2025 means to you
- Report annually on key diversity metrics
- Increase the number of women in senior positions and under-represented areas by 25%, or up to a minimum of 25% by 2025
- Increase female nominations from your airline for IATA governance roles to a minimum of 25% (IATA members only)
- Work with IATA to increase the number of women appointed to IATA governance roles to a minimum of 25% (IATA members only)
What IATA commits to with 25by2025
- Create a forum for sharing best practices on diversity & inclusion and collate industry metrics in an annual update
- Increase the number of women participating at events, panels and conferences to a minimum of 25%
- Increase the number of women appointed to IATA governance roles to a minimum of 25%
- Increase the number of women in top senior positions to a minimum of 25%
Learn more about 25by2025
Current 25by2025 signatories
As of November 2023, the 25by2025 signatory split is as follows: Europe 44%, the Americas 23%, Asia-Pacific15%, Africa - Middle-East 11% and North Asia 7%.