By partnering for mutual benefit, IATA works with governments, international organizations such as the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), and other relevant authorities to help the development of global value chains and to define the correct regulatory framework for the industry. Air transport generates incredible social and economic benefits for a lot of different people, governments, national economies, large and small businesses, and travelers who simply want to visit family or enrich their lives being seeing new places and experiencing new cultures.
That is why we believe that by partnering with governments we can work together to coordinate industry and government needs, regulate our industry in a harmonized way and to facilitate the global aviation systems that are so important to modern life. Therefore our smarter regulation campaign is aimed at working with governments to drive this agenda forward.
IATA Policy on Key Aviation Issues
- Consumer and Passenger rights
- Environmental Policy
- Promoting Aviation
- Customs & Trade Facilitation
IATA Economics produce regular analysis on publicy policy issues affecting air transport: public policy analysis
Setting the standards
In cooperation with industry stakeholders we build standards through expertise, and we strive to continuously improve aviation standards. These initiatives in particular have or will have a major impact on air transport:
- Global standards are at the core of a safe industry and safety is our number one priority.
- The IATA Operational Safety Audit (IOSA) is a condition for IATA membership. It is used much more broadly—by
over 400 airlines worldwide. Airlines on the IOSA registry overall outperform those that have not met the IOSA standard on safety.
- IATA Standard Safety Assessment (ISSA) even smaller (non-IATA) airlines can benefit from the experience of our global standards.
- Global standards underpin global connectivity, and because of the IATA distribution system, anybody can buy a ticket in a single currency that will be valid on many carriers for travel anywhere in the world and be confident that it will be accepted!
- Cargo Security, governments are an essential partner in strengthening further the security of air cargo, while ensuring the vital flow of commerce
- Smarter Border procedures in accordance with WCO, WTO and ICAO instruments, which take into account security needs and efficient risk management procedures and at the same time ensures that air cargo moves fast and reliably across borders.
IATA supports global governmental agencies such as Civil Aviation Authorities with solutions adapted to their specific needs.
Join the Sourcing Network
Ensure accurate entry requirements and aviation charges are communicated in real time to aviation stakeholders. Join the Sourcing network now.
We offer affordable and unequalled expertise to assist you in fulfilling the vision of a safer, more competitive and sustainable civil aviation industry. See Civil Aviation Authorities / Air Traffic Management consulting.
- Enhancement & Financing (E&F) Services: Increase in recovery rates - Reduction in administrative costs - Improvement of financial reporting.
- SIS e-Invoicing: Electronic invoicing service - Legal and Tax compliant - Dedicated to aviation industry.
IATA provides aviation training to thousands of professionals each year, helping to build careers and ensure sustainability throughout the industry. We offer a selection of civil aviation courses for industry newcomers to senior management to assist the development of civil aviation around the world. Our training provides tools to manage safety, risk and quality in line with ICAO standards.
- Managing Aviation Policy and Regulation (Classroom, 5 days)
Review aviation policy and regulation in light of changing industry needs. Apply policy to operational circumstances and implement regulatory practices in a cost-conscious manner.
- Planning and Strategic Direction in Civil Aviation (Classroom, 5 days)
Learn strategic management master planning and operational planning techniques.
- Air Transport Fundamentals (Distance Learning)
Study the air transportation system alongside the roles and functions of airlines, airports, Civil Aviation Authorities and Air Navigation Service Providers.