Global passenger traffic is expected to double by 2037. Accommodating this fascinating growth is a major challenge for the air transport industry and governments. It will require new standards, harmonized regulations and adequate infrastructure. IATA works with airlines, governments, industry associations and Strategic Partners towards an end-to-end passenger experience that is secure, seamless and efficient while lowering industry costs.
COVID-19 Resources for Industry and Passengers
Transformation, industry success and sustainability can only be achieved through collaborative efforts. IATA works to develop and nurtures partnerships to strengthen the end to end passenger experience by engaging airlines, governments, industry associations and Strategic Partners at global, regional and local levels, to identify common objectives, and areas to start or bolster existing collaboration.
IATA develops global standards and tools, offers financial services and industry solutions, drives transformation projects, creates partnerships, and runs campaigns, advocacy and outreach activities. The Travel Standards Board manages the development of standards and drives policy and strategy for the end to end passenger process.
In order to deliver on its vision of delivering an end-to-end passenger experience that is secure, seamless and efficient for all, the IATA Customer Experience & Facilitation team focusses its activities in the following areas:
- With the speed of technological evolution and introduction of biometric recognition in the transport industry, the IATA Common Use Group develops and updates Common Use Standards allowing for airlines, airports and handling agents to process passengers using shared technology.
- Common Use is the key foundation of any passenger experience improvement and helps in providing a seamless and secure way of handling functions like check-in, bag-drop, identity management, security access and boarding process.
- Technology service standards specifically relating to self-service kiosks, overall passenger processing system standards in the area of platform architecture and standardized exchange through the use of web services technology are specific areas pertaining to common use.
- With the fast-growing number of traveling passengers every year, evolving security threats and increasing government requirements, airlines and airports are required to adapt their processes in order to maintain the safety and security of their operations.
- The Passenger Facilitation program focuses on areas of the passenger journey related to border control management, digital identity management, travel authorizations, use of biometrics across touchpoints, passenger data (API/PNR), disruption management, passenger accessibility and other areas of compliance with Immigration and Customs regulations.
- Working in close collaboration with its members, international organizations and individual member states, the IATA Facilitation team drives efficiencies, develops standards and recommended practices aimed at simplifying the passenger process whilst creating a more seamless and secure passenger experience.
- Bags should be as valuable to airlines as they are to passengers. It’s not only the cost of mishandled bags but also the potential loss of a loyal customer in addition to the bag.
- IATA drives industry changes in baggage through different projects and programs. The Baggage Group focuses on developing and maintaining standards for the handling of baggage and baggage messaging.
The One ID solution seeks to introduce a friction-free and passenger-centric process that allows an individual to streamline their journey with a paper-free and contactless process based on identity management and biometric recognition. Passengers will be able to identify themselves at each airport touchpoint through a simple biometric recognition.
The concept of Travel Communication introduces the possibility to personalize the passengers' travel experience by enabling multiple industry stakeholders to communicate with them across all touch points of their journey with up-to-date and accurate information that is provided through a trusted source.