IATA’s mission is to represent, lead and serve the airline industry. Membership of IATA amounts to some 290 airlines in 120 countries. On this page, you will find a selection of critical IATA programs, policies, and services to support airlines.
- Guidance for airlines including emergency response guidelines
- Action Air Cargo - specific guidelines and best practices for cargo professionals
Are you a Low Cost Carrier (LCC)?
Discover a range of popular IATA products and services for LCCs and find out what are the benefits of becoming an IATA member.
Become an IATA member
Find out what it takes for airlines to join IATA's membership: Requirements for IATA membership
Safety our # 1 priority
With around 900,000 aircraft ULDs in service representing a replacement value of over USD $1 Billion, ULDs are expensive assets that require correct handling. Many people in the industry do not know that ULDs are aircraft parts and directly contribute to flight safety. Help us raise awareness with the ULD Safety Campaign and find out more information on all our safety initiatives.
We run intensive lobbying campaigns to support many aspects of airline operations. Major policy initiatives include: passenger rights, emissions trading, security, aviation charges, airport slots, the benefits of aviation.
Go to our Policy page.
Future of Airline Distribution and Payment
Three major programs are transforming the travel distribution and payment.
- Participate in pilots and the definition of new standards for the New Distribution Capability (NDC).
- ONE order will modernize the order management process
- NewGen ISS will facilitate the distribution and settlement of funds between travel agents and airlines
Building a greener future
Air transport is united behind a four-pillar environmental strategy and challenging targets to achieve carbon-neutral growth from 2020: improvements to technology, operations and infrastructure and the deployment of sustainable alternative fuels.
More on IATA's environmental commitment.
Cargo: facilitating world trade
Several programs promote greater efficiency in the air cargo supply chain:
- See the latest on lithium batteries
- Transportation of Dangerous goods/hazardous materials, live animals and perishables & pharma
- Join the StB Cargo program and its 6 projects to transform air cargo:
- Public-private projects in support of border efficiency and trade facilitation
Operational Efficiency & Cost Management
The Operational Efficiency & Cost Management (OECM) program helps identifying saving potentials while improving operational efficiency in four major areas of operations:
- Flight operations
- Technical operations
- Ground operations
- Operations Control Center
Our GO-teams perform onsite assessments to improve efficiency and identify operational cost reduction potential. They also support you during the implementation of our recommendations.
More on the Operational Efficiency & Cost Management (OECM)
Operational improvements in fuel management could provide a 6% overall fuel saving. See how our consulting teams can help you to improve your fuel efficiency program development and implementation.
Develop more efficiency in this increasingly competitive environment, we can help you with expert consulting services in all your operations.
See how far our airline consulting experts can support you.
We can supply a wide array of data to help you run your operations, benchmark your competitors and understand the markets.
Our Chief Economist's team regularly compiles essential analysis covering a wide scope of air transport economics.
Go to our Economic publications pages.
New! You can now access our economics reports via a mobile App (iOS and Android)
You will find essential business intelligence in these publications:
- Direct Data Service (DDS) - timely, accurate and cost-effective access to global airline market data
- Monthly Traffic Statistics
- World Air Transport Statistics
We offer a wide range of financial products to protect its airlines' money, reduce costs and improve efficiency.
- Billing and Settlement Plan (BSP): settlement of passenger sales from travel agents
- Cargo Account Settlement Systems (CASS): settlement of cargo sales from agents and freight forwarders
- IATA Clearing House (ICH): fast debt collection -Protection against bad debt and bankruptcy
- Simplified Invoicing & Settlement (SIS): Interline billing and settlement processes optimization - Direct link to hundreds of airlines - All paperless
Have a read at our Airline Service Charter (online), outlining services rendered and commitments to be expected by airlines from IATA.
Credit Card management
Industry Risk Management & Insurance Community
Join our community of airline risk experts to promote harmonization of Integrated Risk Management Systems and develop best practices towards a more centralized decision-making methodology.
Main publications for airlines
Essential cargo publications
- Dangerous Goods Regulations: the trusted source to help you prepare and document dangerous shipments
- Cargo Handling Manual: complete set of standards for everyone involved in cargo operations
- The Air Cargo Tariffs (TACT): comprehensive information regarding air cargo rules, regulations, rates and charges.
- Live Animals Regulation: the global standard for the transportation of live animals by air
IATA provides aviation training to thousands of professionals each year, helping to build careers and ensure sustainability throughout the industry. Our extensive selection of airline courses and diploma programs cover all critical areas of the airline business, including passenger and cargo operations, business development, safety and security.
Featured courses for Airlines
Understand what it takes to lead an airline to success in this dynamic learning environment! Use the latest simulation technology to manage a virtual airline through real-life business scenarios
Drive outstanding customer service with the winning combination of knowledge, skills, and attitude.
Developed in accordance with ICAO principles, this course helps you fulfill SMS requirements and establish a functional SMS within your operations.
Assure efficient and compliant security operations with this detailed review of industry standards, risk assessment and people management practices.
International Airline Training Fund (IATF)
The International Airline Training Fund (IATF) is a non-profit foundation whose purpose is to bridge the training gaps for airlines in regions of the world where it is most needed.