Setting the standards leads to safety
Some items may endanger the safety of an aircraft or persons on board it. The air transportation of these dangerous materials can either be forbidden or restricted. IATA leads industry efforts to ensure the safe handling of dangerous goods in air shipping. We provide a great variety of technical knowledge, products, services and training solutions, tailored to satisfy industry needs.
The definition of standards for documentation, handling and training, as well as their promotion and use, contributed to achieving a very high degree of safety in the transportation of dangerous goods by air.
Dangerous Goods Regulations
IATA works closely with local governments and ICAO in the development of regulations. This way, we ensure that the rules and guidelines on dangerous goods transportation are effective and efficient.
The IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR) manual is the global reference for shipping dangerous goods by air and the only standard recognized by airlines.
Competency-based training and assessment (CBTA)
The 61st edition of the dangerous goods regulation, provides the industry with details related to the changes to:
- Appendix I.1.5 - The impending revised training requirement provisions as agreed by ICAO DG/27
- Appendix H - The guidelines material for implementation developed by the IATA Dangerous Good Training Working Group (DGTWG)
IATA invites industry to dedicate some time to the Appendix H section of this appendix and provide feedback which will be utilized by the Dangerous Goods Training Working Group (DTWG) to further develop the guideline materials. This will, in turn, make sure that there remains useful and practical for the industry to implement competency-based training and assessment for DG training programs.
- Download the DGR 61st Edition Appendix H - EN (pdf)
- Also available in Spanish (pdf), French (pdf), German (pdf), Russian (pdf)
Provide feedback via this short survey
For further and extended feedback please contact Alexandra Jimenez, Secretary of DGTWG
Other CBTA related material:
Implementation update (pdf) September 2018 - Latest update on the ICAO Status.
The Competency Based Training Assessment White Paper (pdf) February 2017 - Analysis performed by the DGTWG provides some discussion points to the DG Training ICAO provisions.
Dangerous Goods Community
The IATA DG Community is the meeting place where shippers, freight forwarders, and airlines have a say. Join us to find out what information you need to know, give us feedback and share with your peers.
More Dangerous Goods Documentation
- Coronavirus - Dangerous goods (including alcohol based sanitizers) guidance for Operators (pdf)
- Browse & download a range of Dangerous Goods Documentation
- See listed restrictions and limitations for personal travel in our Passenger Corner
- Read about transporting Lithium Batteries
- For more information about Dangerous Goods, please refer to our FAQs
- For the shipment of dangerous goods, read our Shipper's Declaration