Montreal – The International Air Transport Association (IATA) welcomes today’s decision by the government of Canada to further ease border restrictions for fully vaccinated* passengers. Eligible US citizens and permanent US residents arriving from the US will be permitted to enter Canada as of 9 August and foreign nationals arriving from all other countries will be allowed as of 7 September. Fully vaccinated Canadian citizens and residents have been able to enter Canada without the need for hotel quarantine since 5 July 2021.
“Today’s decision by the government of Canada to gradually allow fully vaccinated foreigners travelers to enter the country is good news on various fronts. First and foremost, it restores the freedom of travel, which will be especially welcomed by those who were barred from seeing friends and family. Moreover, airlines can now start reinstating international connectivity. This will be a boost for rebuilding the Canadian economy, especially through the contribution of international business and tourism. Nevertheless, we ask the authorities to consider the latest recommendations from the World Health Organization regarding alleviations for those who are unable to get vaccinated,” said Willie Walsh, IATA’s Director General.
According to latest calculations by IATA Economics, reopening Canada’s borders to international travelers will:
- Allow airlines to begin restoring the estimated 682 routes (domestic and international) which we lost as a result of the pandemic,
- Begin generating the CAD 19 billion in annual spending by visitors,
- Support and sustain 432,000 local jobs, and
- Provide an annual contribution of CAD 14 billion to Canada’s GDP.
*Fully vaccinated as per rules set by the Public Health Agency of Canada
For more information, please contact:
Tel: +1-438-258 3155
Notes for Editors:
- IATA (International Air Transport Association) represents some 300 airlines comprising 83% of global air traffic.
- You can follow us at twitter.com/iata for announcements, policy positions, and other useful industry information.