Enabler of an Airline Industry Open Data Ecosystem
As the Airline Industry accelerates the transition away from costly legacy systems and processes towards an open technology environment, it is crucial that an Open Ecosystem built on modern API communication standards is in place.
In 2021, the Digital Transformation Advisory Council (DTAC), one of the Advisory Councils advising the IATA Board of Governors, set a strategy to achieve an Open Data Ecosystem through the adoption of Open APIs, open standards, and open architecture.
IATA’s Open API Program serves as an enabler for achieving such an Open Ecosystem. The program focuses on the following key objectives:
- Promote discoverability and connectivity of digital capabilities. such as API and Data, from trustworthy industry parties.
- Promote adoption and collaboration on the industry API standards and best practices.
- The Open API Hub is an enabler to support the move towards an Open Data Ecosystem, by providing discoverability and collaboration features.
- The IATA developer portal is the single place for industry developers to explore different industry technology standards programs, and access resources, such as standards and best practice documents, implementation guides, supporting and collaboration tools, etc.
- IATA offers the Open Air certification to recognize the providers who follow industry REST API standards in API design and development.
Open API Hub
IATA’s Open API Hub is a repository for any Airline Industry organization to discover and collaborate with APIs from other trusted industry providers. The Open API Hub allows you to connect to APIs to quickly build partnerships, promote competition and to efficiently bring new products to the market.
Benefits for the Industry
The Hub is your one-stop place to discover and connect with any airline industry API providers. API providers can use the hub to promote awareness of their APIs, and partner with trustworthy industry API consumers.
If you have any further questions do not hesitate to get in touch with us.