The IATA Environmental Assessment (IEnvA) program is an evaluation system designed to independently assess and improve the environmental management of an airline.
IEnvA is a voluntary program based on principles in compliance with environmental obligations and a commitment to continually improve environmental management.
More About the Program
IATA’s Environmental Assessment (IEnvA) Program is an environmental management system (EMS) that has been designed for the airline and broader aviation industry to achieve ISO14001:2015 compliance.
The Environmental Assessment Program was developed by industry experts, ISO management system experts and airline operators, and continues to evolve and improve to enable IEnvA Airlines to be at the top of the Environmental Management game. IEnvA Standards are externally assessed and verified to comply with ISO14001:2015 requirements.
IEnvA provides airlines with an industry-specific approach to establish international standardized environmental management processes efficiently and effectively, making use of airline-developed recommended practices and solutions to the most common environmental challenges faced by airlines today.
- Access to industry best practices
- Simplified industry reporting
- Access to airport environmental database
- Peer reviewed mitigation tools
- Automated audit software
- Expert support
IEnvA briefing note (pdf)
Benefits for airlines
- Quality environmental assessment program under the stewardship of IATA based on the successful IATA Operational Safety Audit (IOSA) and IATA Safety Audit for Ground Operations (ISAGO) programs
- Dynamic program with continuous updating of standards to reflect regulatory revision and environmental best practices overseen by an advisory group of 14 airlines
- Independent assessments by accredited Environmental Assessment Organizations (EAOs), maximizing the use of online tools and data exchange
- Reduced regulatory compliance risk, improved financial benefits from resource saving and demonstration of good environmental governance
- Two-stage implementation approach based on core airline activities of flight operations and corporate activities allows for early recognition of environmental management achievements
IEnvA recognizes that airlines have varying environmental management capacities and experience, and the adoption of a staged implementation approach allows for wider airline participation. Airlines are able to phase the implementation of the IEnvA program with recognition as Stage 1 or Stage 2 Operator.
IEnvA Stage 1
Stage 1 allows the airline to set the framework for its EMS and identify and comply with its legal requirements and other obligations. IENvA Stage 1 certification is mandatory for IEnvA Stage 2 participation. See the “Signing up and what to expect” PDF in the Resources tab to get your airline on the way to IEnvA certification.
IEnvA Stage 2
Stage 2 is a fully-fledged Environmental Management System in line with international environmental management standards. IEnvA Stage 2 provides an airline with all the tools required to be on top of their environmental management game.
IEnvA IWT Assessment
An optional module in the IEnvA Program that allows IEnvA Operators to demonstrate their compliance with the Buckingham Palace Declaration on Illegal Wildlife Trade.
IEnvA Registered Assessment Organization
IEnvA Assessments are carried out by specialized organizations that understand the complexities of the aviation industry and keep extremely high levels of quality consistency and professionalism.
Environmental Management Systems in Aviation
Become a specialist in designing and implementing Environmental Management Systems (EMS) for airlines, ground handlers, airline caterers and airline Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul Organizations (MROs). Over 2 days, you will learn the value and benefit for organizations with good environmental management and how to design and develop an aviation-specific management system that drives environmental performance and keeps track of compliance obligations in all kinds of aviation organizations and airline business models.
- Session1: EMS Basic Awareness - Provided live online (or on-site, where suitable/possible) training
- Session2: EMS Advanced Training - Provided live online (or on-site, where suitable/possible) training
- Session3: Questionnaire for Certification - Online platform that provides a final overview of Sessions 1 and 2, followed by a quesionnaire;
Successful participants will receive a certificate for “Environmental Management Systems in Aviation”.
This course is included in any IEnvA Stage 2 Subscription. For more information contact email@example.com
The IEnvA Registry is a list of airlines that have successfully completed an independent IEnvA assessment (Stage 1 / Stage 2).
See the current list of IEnvA registered airlines.
To get in touch with the IEnvA team, or to request additional documents such as the IEnvA Program Manual (IEPM) or IEnvA Standards Manual (IESM), please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.