The IATA Environmental Assessment (IEnvA) program is an evaluation system designed to independently assess and improve the environmental management of an airline.
IEnvA is a voluntary program based on principles in compliance with environmental obligations and a commitment to continually improve environmental management.
Balancing Business and Sustainability
No longer can environmental and social matters be seen and managed as external risks. To be effective, Environmental and Social Governance (ESG) must become part of day to day operations and decision-making.
IEnvA provides airlines, aircraft maintenance services, on-board catering services and ground handlers definitive guidance, aligned with internationally accepted management standards to efficiently address all sustainability matters that face the aviation industry today.
Driving True Sustainability Through Management and Operational Performance
- Organization-wide alignment and direction of ESG Policy, communications, projects and programs
- Scalable and phased implementation options for airlines of all sizes, resource-accessibility, locations and internal business requirements
- Independent, external assessments carried out by a smart combination of highly experienced IOSA Lead Auditors and ISO14001 auditors
- ISO14001:2015 verification certificate
- Reduced risk and fines related to regulatory compliance using a user-run database approach
- Improved financial performance resulting from industry best practice operational controls reducing resource-use
- Continuously evolving best recommended practices and guidance on the most significant sustainability risks the industry faces today
- An aviation-friendly management system and program, using a familiar program and assessment structure, governance and documentation, based on IATA’s industry leading IOSA and ISAGO programs
IEnvA recognizes that airlines have varying environmental management capacities and experience, and the adoption of a staged implementation approach allows for wider airline participation. Airlines are able to phase the implementation of the IEnvA program with recognition as Stage 1 or Stage 2 Operator.
IEnvA Stage 1
Stage 1 allows the airline to set the framework for its EMS and identify and comply with its legal requirements and other obligations. See the “Signing up and what to expect” PDF in the Resources tab to get your airline on the way to IEnvA certification.
IEnvA Stage 2
Stage 2 is a fully-fledged Environmental Management System in line with international environmental management standards. IEnvA Stage 2 provides an airline with all the tools required to be on top of their environmental management game.
IEnvA IWT Assessment
An optional module in the IEnvA Program that allows IEnvA Operators to demonstrate their compliance with the Buckingham Palace Declaration on Illegal Wildlife Trade.
IEnvA Registered Assessment Organization
IEnvA Assessments are carried out by specialized organizations that understand the complexities of the aviation industry and keep extremely high levels of quality consistency and professionalism.
Environmental Management Systems in Aviation
Become a specialist in designing and implementing Environmental Management Systems (EMS) for airlines, ground handlers, airline caterers and airline Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul Organizations (MROs). Over 2 days, you will learn the value and benefit for organizations with good environmental management and how to design and develop an aviation-specific management system that drives environmental performance and keeps track of compliance obligations in all kinds of aviation organizations and airline business models.
- Session1: EMS Basic Awareness - Provided live online (or on-site, where suitable/possible) training
- Session2: EMS Advanced Training - Provided live online (or on-site, where suitable/possible) training
- Session3: Questionnaire for Certification - Online platform that provides a final overview of Sessions 1 and 2, followed by a quesionnaire;
Successful participants will receive a certificate for “Environmental Management Systems in Aviation”.
This course is included in any IEnvA Stage 2 Subscription. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- IEnvA Brochure 2020 (pdf)
- IEnvA Brochure 2020 Short (pdf)
- IEnva Brochure (English) 2019 (pdf)
- IEnvA Brochure (Chinese) 2019 (pdf)
- IEnvA Brochure (Spanish) 2019 (pdf)
- IEnvA Standards Manual Edition 3.6 (pdf)
- IEnvA Scope Agreement for External Assessment (pdf)
- IEnvA Implementation Handbook for CORE (contact email@example.com)
- IEnvA Environmental Management Plans for CORE (contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
- IEnvA Internal Assessment Tool for IESM Edition 3.6 (contact email@example.com)
- IEnvA Illegal Wildlife Assessment Standards Manual (contact firstname.lastname@example.org)
IEnvA Blog Posts
- IEnvA Blog April 2020 (pdf)
The IEnvA Registry is a list of airlines that have successfully completed an independent IEnvA assessment (Stage 1 / Stage 2).
See the current list of IEnvA registered airlines.
To get in touch with the IEnvA team, or to request additional documents such as the IEnvA Program Manual (IEPM) or IEnvA Standards Manual (IESM), please email: email@example.com.