An IATA hackathon is an around-the-clock event, that brings together teams of developers and designers to develop innovative solutions to address an industry challenge.
Focused on industry standards and initiatives, developers dive into the aviation environment where they can work together to explore new business applications and generate exciting ideas. Solutions are presented to a jury, and the winners have the opportunity to share and communicated their solutions to the industry.
IATA Hackathon program
Upcoming Hackathon events:
|Hackathons||Partners & MEDIA|
In person event only (not hybrid) - 23-25 June, 2023
Host and Platinum Sponsor: Lufthansa Cargo
Main Hackathon Sponsors: PayCargo, Riege Software
Supporting organization: Lufthansa Seeheim
Below a summary of previous hackathon events and media assets when available:
|Hackathons||Partners & MEDIA|
Virtual (April 2023)
Amazon Web Services (AWS) and The International Air Transport Association (IATA) virtual Diversity Datathon.
Toronto, Canada (October, 2022)
Sponsors: Air Canada, IBM, PayCargo, Riege Software
Supporting organization: Alha Group
Charity partner: Air Cargo Foundation
Amsterdam, the Netherlands (May, 2022)
Sponsors: Riege Software, PayCargo, Dcsa
Supporting organizations: Skyteam Cargo, Msc , Nexshore, IBS Software
- Cargo Hackathon -Virtual event September 2020 - Check the video
- AIR Hackathon - Seattle, USA February 2020 - Check the video
- Aviation XR - Crans Montana, Switzerland September 2019 - Check the video
- AIR Hackathon - Madrid, Spain June 2019 - Check the video
- AIR Hackathon - Seattle, USA April 2019 - Check the video
- AIR Hackathon - Lapland, Finland September 2018 - Check the video
- AIR Hackathon - Geneva, Switzerland September 2018 - Check the video
- AIR Hackathon - Washington, USA June 2018 - Check the video
- NDC Hackathon - Kochi, India February 2018 - Check the video
- NDC Hackathon - Paris, France October 2017 - Check the video
- NDC Hackathon - San Francisco, USA August 2017 - Check the video
- NDC Hackathon - Dublin, Ireland May 2017 - Check the video
- NDC Hackathon - Dubai, UAE October 2016 - Check the video
- NDC Hackathon - Berlin, Germany May 2016 - Check the video
- NDC Hackathon - Hamburg, Germany October 2015 - Check the video
Unlocking business and technical creativity with hackathons
IATA's hackathon program was launched in 2015, initially focusing on airlines’ retailing capabilities. The scope has since evolved to address other areas including environment, payment, cargo, accessibility, among many others.
The hackathon success relies on a simple recipe: access to technologies via Application Programming Interfaces (APIs), a clock-ticking healthy pressure, and an industry challenge to be solved. All these three ingredients together encourage the emergence of the following three objectives:
- Development of new ideas for airline industry based on industry standards.
- Disruption by exposing new products and services from new startups and corporations to the industry.
- Enhancement of standards by exposing them to developer community who can provide direct feedback on the industry schemas.