The number of Communications, Navigation & Surveillance (CNS) technologies is growing. It is essential that they are cost effective and conform to global implementation standards in order to benefit the aviation community. IATA provides guidance and recommendations on various infrastructure requirements for air navigation services.
User Requirements for Air Traffic Services (URATs) - CNS
The IATA User Requirements for Air Traffic Services (URATs) (pdf) is designed to act as a reference for airlines and ANSPs when determining airline infrastructure requirements and capabilities for air navigation services. It complements the ICAO Global Air Navigation Plan (GANP) while stating IATA’s positions on the various communication, navigation and surveillance technologies.
Any technology will need to fulfil these requirements prior to actual funding or implementation
- Enable a direct and measurable operational and/or safety improvement that is required for that specific service volume and identified in collaboration with airlines operating through that specific airspace
- Follow a proper consultation process with the airlines and airspace users and involve airlines collaboratively at the planning and deployment stages
- Be aligned with the ICAO GANP
- Be supported by a positive cost-benefit analysis during which the airlines were able to validate the benefits that off-set the costs
- Follow ICAO principles for user charges
Performance-Based Navigation (PBN)
PBN is a global set of area navigation standards, defined by ICAO, based on navigation performance and functionality required for the proposed operation. Implementation of PBN is considered a global air navigation priority aiming to enhance safety and efficiency of flight operations and air traffic management. PBN concept encompasses two types of navigation specifications:
- RNAV Specification – Navigation specification based on area navigation that does not include the requirement for on-board performance monitoring and alerting, e.g. RNAV 5, RNAV 2 and RNAV 1.
- RNP Specification – Navigation specification based on area navigation that requires on-board performance monitoring and alerting, e.g. RNP 4, RNP 2 and RNP APCH.
Updates to the PBN manual Edition 5
The ICAO Performance-based Navigation (PBN) Manual ( ICAO Doc 9613) provides guidance on PBN specifications. The ICAO-IATA joint webinar (July 2022) details the update of specifications in the next edition (5th Edition).
Webinar slides (pdf)