Performance-Based Navigation (PBN) II (Classroom, 5 days)
Did you know that in the past 5 years, 84 participants from 15 countries have taken this course with IATA?
In this 5-day course for participants from Air Navigation Service Providers on Performance-based Navigation (PBN) implementation, you will learn how to put into practice instrument procedures based on PBN navigation specifications and how to manage related airspace changes as a project. This course concentrates on basic Terminal Manoeuvring Area (TMA) airspace design.
Due to PBN implementation being slower than agreed under Assembly Resolution A37-11, implementation of RNAV and RNP air traffic services routes and approach procedures are currently a top priority of ICAO. Participants from airlines and Civil Aviation Authorities are recommended to take the related course in PBN Operational Approvals for CAAs and Airlines.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers and Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-house training.
Course code: TCVT-21
- This classroom course provides 5 days (40 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment
- Participants should have prior knowledge of ICAO PBN documents or have completed IATA’s Performance-based Navigation I course
- Recommended level is Intermediate
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
View more details
View fewer details
Belgium, Brussels (IATA)
22 - 26 November, 2021
Register before 01 Nov, 2021 to take advantage of the USD100 Early Bird discount. The price below includes this discount.
Please register by 01 Nov
All prices are before tax. Class no: 132431
What you will learn
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Build on your knowledge of PBN and its applications that you have learned in PBN I
- Assess the navigation infrastructure of your State’s airspace
- Plan the implementation of simplified, harmonized, flexible airspace which takes advantage of Instrument Approach Procedures, Standard Instrument Departures and Arrivals (SIDs, STARs)
- Build on your knowledge of ICAO airspace planning and design in order to determine requirements and identify the relevant Navigation Specification for Enroute and the Terminal Area (TMA)
- Draft safety assessment reports
- Be familiar with the responsibilities of flight validation and flight inspection
- Understand the PBN approval process
- PBN navigation specifications as defined in the ICAO Doc 9613 AN/937 Performance-based Navigation Manual
- Area navigation turns and path-terminators, and PBN recognized area navigation systems
- Implementation guidance for States and ANSPs
- Project Management relating to airspace changes due to PBN Implementation
- TMA Airspace design with practical exercises
- PBN obligations for regulators
- Publication and promulgation of information for Air Operators relating to PBN implementation.
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- ANS Provider managers responsible for the implementation and approval of PBN navigation specification procedures
- Airspace planners tasked with changing TMA airspace from conventional or regional area navigation to PBN area navigation
- Air Traffic Control Officers (ATCO)
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.
This course is a step toward earning an IATA Diploma in: