Did you know that in the past 5 years, 5 participants from 3 countries have taken this course with IATA?
5-day (40 hours) classroom course
In this 5-day course for participants from Air Navigation Service Providers on Performance-based Navigation (PBN) implementation, you will learn how to put into practice instrument procedures based on PBN navigation specifications and how to manage related airspace changes as a project. This course concentrates on basic Terminal Manoeuvring Area (TMA) airspace design. Due to PBN implementation being slower than agreed under Assembly Resolution A37-11, implementation of RNAV and RNP air traffic services routes and approach procedures are currently a top priority of ICAO. Participants from airlines and Civil Aviation Authorities are recommended to take the related course in PBN Operational Approvals for CAAs and Airlines.
Course code: TCVT-21
- Participants should have prior knowledge of ICAO PBN documents or have completed IATA’s Performance-based Navigation I course.
- Recommended level is Intermediate.
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company, please complete the in-house training request form
or contact the Training Specialist
in your region.
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Build on your knowledge of PBN and its applications that you have learned in PBN I
- Assess the navigation infrastructure of your State’s airspace
- Plan the implementation of simplified, harmonized, flexible airspace which takes advantage of Instrument Approach Procedures, Standard Instrument Departures and Arrivals (SIDs, STARs)
- Build on your knowledge of ICAO airspace planning and design in order to determine requirements and identify the relevant Navigation Specification for Enroute and the Terminal Area (TMA)
- Draft safety assessment reports
- Be familiar with the responsibilities of flight validation and flight inspection
- Understand the PBN approval process
The key topics that are covered during this course include:
- PBN navigation specifications as defined in the ICAO Doc 9613 AN/937 Performance-based Navigation Manual
- Area navigation turns and path-terminators, and PBN recognized area navigation systems
- Implementation guidance for States and ANSPs
- Project Management relating to airspace changes due to PBN Implementation
- TMA Airspace design with practical exercises
- PBN obligations for regulators
- Publication and promulgation of information for Air Operators relating to PBN implementation.
This course is recommended for:
- ANS Provider managers responsible for the implementation and approval of PBN navigation specification procedures
- Airspace planners tasked with changing TMA airspace from conventional or regional area navigation to PBN area navigation
- Air Traffic Control Officers (ATCO)
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on all exercises and exams. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.