Safety Management Systems (SMS) Regulatory Workshop (classroom)
About the course
A managerial workshop to assist with understanding the requirements of ICAO/EASA Safety Management Systems. Take on board the key regulatory aspects, safety management principles, and those of accident prevention and related human factors.
This course is available at IATA Training Centers and Regional Training Partner locations, and on-demand as in-house training.
Course Code: TALS-79
- This classroom course provides 2 days (16 hours) of instruction delivered by an official IATA Instructor.
- Student performance will be based on an assessment.
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
- Recommended level is Entry-level and Intermediate.
- The recommended level of language proficiency is ICAO Operational Level 4 for courses in English or the equivalent level for other languages.
How to register
To arrange in-house training for your company: Complete the in-house training request form or contact the salesperson in your region.
There are no scheduled classes at the moment
What you will learn
Upon completing this course you will be able to:
- Recognize the key safety issues in aviation
- Discuss the basics of current safety programs
- Explore the main theories on accident causation and prevention, related to enterprise risk management programs
- Explain how accidents can be prevented using evidence and best practices
- Relate the importance of operating an SMS as required by EASA and ICAO
- Build a sustainable framework that balances production and protection
The key topics that are covered during this course include:
- Introduction to Safety Management Systems (SMS)
- ICAO and EU requirements
- EU requirements
- Systematized safety management
- SMS strategies and components
- Regulatory aspects
- Safety Regulatory framework
- State Safety Program (SSP)
- Acceptable Level of Safety
- Responsibilities and accountabilities
- Roles and responsibilities for safety
- The Human Element
- Human factors
- Just Culture and Safety Culture
- Case studies
- Final assessment
Who should attend
This course is recommended for:
- Corporate, executive staff from airlines and airports
- Nominated persons
- Safety and Compliance Monitoring Managers
An IATA Certificate of Completion is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 70% or higher on an assessment. A special distinction is awarded to participants obtaining a grade of 90% or higher.