Passengers each year rely on the airline industry to get to their destination safely. Their safe passage is due to the tireless efforts of industry stakeholders. Working together, we have made aviation the safest form of travel. However, recent events and uncertainties remind us that this impressive safety record is still subject to unlikely events. When an aircraft is diverted, disrupted or lost, there is a strong need for mechanisms to deal with the aftermath and recovery. IATA supports airlines with Emergency Response Planning (ERP) best practices to manage and recover from such events.
Regulation & Guidance Overview for Operators
The compilation of ERP Regulations, Standards and Guidance for Civil Aviation (pdf) provides an overview of regulations, standards, and guidance related to Emergency Response Planning. The current version (July 2021) will be continuously updated based on new developments.
ERP Task Force and High Level Objectives
The ERP community has identified a need to form a working group under IATA's governance. The call to nomination will go out Q3 of 2021. The Emergency Response Planning Task Force (ERPTF) will have the following objectives:
- Act as a center of excellence for all ERP matters worldwide for member and non-member airlines
- Develop and maintain operating standards, training, guidance materials and services designed to improve ERP worldwide.
- Create an annual conference to bring together senior airline ERP experts for information sharing and to develop best practices.
- Create mutual aid agreements to provide assistance during activation of emergency response plans.
- Build the relationships between the ERP community and external, non-airline entities, e.g. airports, service providers, consultants, regulators, government and non-governmental agencies (including WHO and CDC, ICAO and EASA.
- Act as subject matter experts for all ERP issues and represent the airline industry at various conferences, forums and at all relevant ICAO and EASA panels and working groups.
- Position the ERPTF as the global center of excellence and provide ERP subject matter expertise for ICAO Safety Management Panel and other ICAO panels and working groups as may arise.
A 3 year workplan will be tied to the objectives of the Task Force once it has been established.
ERP Annual Forum and Strategic Partners
An annual ERP Forum brings together senior emergency response experts and decision makers to discuss the evolving ERP landscape. This event provides a platform for the exchange of knowledge and experience, contributing to the enhancement of emergency response worldwide.
> Access the reports & presentations of the 2nd IATA ERP Forum (June 2021) with participation from airlines, airports, vendors and ground handlers.